News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It is my understanding that these military identification cards were the much simpler fore-runner of the Soldbuch introduced sometime in late 1939. However, the examples shown are all slightly different from this one, namely, this one does not have a photo attached to it.

This ID is of green card stock-type paper and measures approx. 8.5cm x 12.5cm. It was issued to Gefreiter Alfred Fuhrmann who entered the service on 26.9.39. This ID card was issued in the Memel on 30.Sept.1939 with a validity period until early 1940 (if I read this correctly). The reverse side with spaces for extensions of this ID remain blank, presumably because the Soldbuch came into regular use.

It bears the inkstamp of the "Kriegsmarine / Kommando 7 . Marineartillerie- Abteilung".

I find it interesting to note that the bearer of this ID card was on duty attached to a coastal artillery unit in the Memelland in the northern part of East Prussia which Germany annexed on 23.March 1939.

I would appreciate it if anyone can add to this thread.

Thanks,

John

Edited by John Burchell