News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Wound Medals

Tim B

I've been searching for information dicussing the different patterns of the French Wound Medal and want to know if there is a specific timeline to each style shown below, or if it was just a case of different manufacturers?

I believe the one on the left is the first issue and the other two are later, but are they all WWI? Note the difference on the top suspension of the star.

Many thanks as always! :cheers:

Tim

Tim :beer:

I believe if you search " Wound Medals" you will get a relevant section with regards these.

As far as I can remember the were many unofficial styles,

initially only the ribbon bar, in its distinctive colours was to be the Insignia,

the "medal" being tolerated but not official.

EDIT:-

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1310...hl=Wound+Medals

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi Keven!

Yes, I have read all the threads here (at least I think I have) and seen this one. It's a few years old already and I thought there may be more information by now. You always seem to find one tidbit of information here and there about one of them, but I can't seem to find anything substantial on the "lot" or what was changed and when/why. I've heard the star (center PIC above) is more scarce, but with so many apparent variations, scarce to what? And, have these been restruck as so many other medals have? IF so, can you tell the differences between period and post war versions?

Lots of questions and thought it would be good to restart the topic. See who is interested at least. :unsure:

Thanks!

Tim

Holy Sh1t! :speechless1::jumping:

Well, I guess I shouldn't worry about which one came first. Kind of reminds me of the issue with Turkish War Medals, so many different makers, where do you start.

Beautiful collection. Thank you,

Tim :beer:

• 10 months later...

Thought I would add a recent medal to the discussion here. After looking at all the various versions I found this one recently and feel it's a modern reproduction hitting the market.

The seller used a photo of an orignal and then sent this one. Completely different from the version shown. I hate these guys that do that! :mad:

Perhaps it's the current issue, but it is very cheaply made. Note the suspension shape, and though kind of close to an original style, this one is different. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on current French issue medals can confirm that?

The base metal on the medal itself is a cheap alloy or pot metal and not brass. The enamel is very thin, though it looks respectable. The gilding on this one appeared okay, but I have seen others that had small areas missing the gilding in the crevices.

The small star has two bright brass pins and I suspect modern as well.

I returned this one.

Tim

Another shot;

Note the cheap suspension and how it wraps around the suspension ring. Also, the thickness of the medal is about 1/2 that of a normal wound medal when compared next to each other.

Tim

Tim, this medal not being rare nor having much value, on top of being unofficial... I very much doubt anybody is making and selling repros. I think it is simply an extremely cheap model. And I think you were right in returning it, not for the reason I just stated but as a matter of principal, the seller misrepresented the merchandise.

Hi Frank!

Yes, very cheaply made; I almost wondered if these might be coming out of China or someone's garage. Really garbage and no comment from the seller when I sent him that same PIC and asked if he even had one of those originals pictured. Blamed his wife for the mistake!! :o A real loser IMO. :shame:

Oh well, takes all kinds.

Tim

Hi Frank!

Thank you for that offer; I'll PM you a bit later this evening on it. I honestly take what comes as it becomes available but, would like a nice example with some additional stars on the ribbon.

Thanks again! :cheers:

Tim

• 5 months later...

Hello Tim,

Here is my lone example. It is part of a French group of 7 that I have.

It has a really lovely patina on the surface of the enamel and is of a nice multi-part construction with the star a separate piece to the encircling wreath. The solder work is quite good and, despite the wreath being off centre, it shows a good standard of construction despite this being a relatively mass-produced item. The fact that it has a slightly faded ribbon does not bother me and I prefer this to the brand new ribbon look as you can tell the items have been worn.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a close-up of the makers mark. It appears under a loupe to be a square, with a central cross, surrounded by a number of letters but they are not distinguishable. Happy for any thoughts on this.

Regards,

Rob