News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Even With a Name Groups are Tough to ID

This is a group that I have tried to attribute for several years. When I first got it, I was excited to find the small attached veteran's badge with the name "E. Dobbelin" engraved on the suspension bar. I figured that a little research would soon reveal more about Herr Dobbelin. Many years later, I still know nothing more than he was a career NCO who received a wartime commission, saw service at some point in German Southwest Africa, was likely a native of Reuss or saw service with a Reuss unit and was in the civil service up to at least 1936. It seems odd that there is no Hindenburg Cross given that this was put together after its' introduction but, I long ago stopped wondering about the loose enforcement of the regulations.

Guest Rick Research

Nobody that name on the SA3bX Roll.

The combination of Saxon and Reuss awards normally indicates connection with J?ger Bataillon 13.

Absence of a Hindenburg Cross with the Olympics Medal awarded in 1937 is bizarre.

But the little pinned on thingy is a red herring, probably.

Well, that gives me another avenue to go down. Many thanks.

I've often wondered about the vet pin, it seems to be strategically located to cover up the swastika on the Civil Service Cross. Even if it does turn out to be unrelated, I will leave it as is. I prefer to keep things as I found them.

sweet! well, suss rather!

What is medal #7?

I would wager 50p that he was a resident of berlin.

Odds are he's on the list of German SWA chaps.

I think Gordon McGregor has a complete listing.

I just so happen to have a copy of "For Valour"...two copies actually, one is for sale and... <<<just get on with it Claudius, nevermind the sales speech>>>

Ahhh...no. Dobbelin is NOT listed in the alphabetical index. Sorry.

He may have been in SWA, but he didn't get an EK1, EKII or wound badge in that theater. The photo is blurry. Is the date on the veteran pin 1894? One guess is that he served his time before the war in SWA and came back to fight WWI in Europe. Or as you suggest, someone pinned that on from a completely separate source to hide the swastika. :banger: tampering with history. Perhaps Dobbelin went to SWA and this is his veterans pin, but this isn't his bar. But yes, until proven otherwise keep it as it is.

It's still a swell bar.