News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Odd Legion of Honor on ebay

Garth Thompson

This Legion of Honor is presently listed on ebay,US. It appears to have characteristics of both a First Empire and a Second Empire. The reverse below the eagle is to my mind unusual also. The closest I can find is a First Empire 6th type, ref DECORATIONS FRANCE ET COLONIES M.DELANDE Paris 1934 page 5. Could this be a hybrid or is it an example that just isn't in any of my references.

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

If that doesn't work here is the auction number: 220409491944

Regards,

Garth

Edited by Garth Thompson

I would say this is a Second Empire piece. The use of eagles in the crown and the titles on the obverse are consistent with 2nd Empire and I have seen this type of reverse as well (I presume it is the single star and dots that you consider unusual ?).

I would say this is a Second Empire piece. The use of eagles in the crown and the titles on the obverse are consistent with 2nd Empire and I have seen this type of reverse as well (I presume it is the single star and dots that you consider unusual ?).

Paul,

Yes it is the single star and dots that I found inconsistent with a 2e medal. The seller has a $2000.00 USD reserve set it. Do you think this is in the ballpark for a 2e LoH in this condition?

Garth

Paul,

Yes it is the single star and dots that I found inconsistent with a 2e medal. The seller has a $2000.00 USD reserve set it. Do you think this is in the ballpark for a 2e LoH in this condition?

Garth

I paid just under $600 equivalent for a 4th Class 2nd Empire version in gold about 3 years ago so I think his reserve is too high. If it was a 1st Empire version then it would be worth about this (with the original ribbon) but the 1st Empire orders do not have eagles in the crown.

Edited by Paul L Murphy

I paid just under $600 equivalent for a 4th Class 2nd Empire version in gold about 3 years ago so I think his reserve is too high. If it was a 1st Empire version then it would be worth about this (with the original ribbon) but the 1st Empire orders do not have eagles in the crown.

See Collignon Ordres de Chevalerie, 2004 fig 209 for an identical Second Empire piece. His price makes

even rip-off dealers seem like bargain basement.

Paul

See Collignon Ordres de Chevalerie, 2004 fig 209 for an identical Second Empire piece. His price makes

even rip-off dealers seem like bargain basement.

Paul

The person listing this on ebay is a woman who I'm pretty sure really doesn't know what the medal is worth but is relying on a jewelers appraisal based on the piece being gold and weighing 2.3 oz. Current gold prices would indicate the $2000 appraisal is correct if the piece is solid gold. It is already bid up to $1300 so I'm afraid this one is for the melting pot not a collection.

Garth

The person listing this on ebay is a woman who I'm pretty sure really doesn't know what the medal is worth but is relying on a jewelers appraisal based on the piece being gold and weighing 2.3 oz. Current gold prices would indicate the $2000 appraisal is correct if the piece is solid gold. It is already bid up to $1300 so I'm afraid this one is for the melting pot not a collection.

Garth

That weight would include the enamel and it is unlikely that the gold would be higher than 18 carat and possibly lower as high grade gold would be innapropriate for wearing purposes (you very rarely see jewellery at higher than 18 carat). I cannot see it at anything like $2,000 melt, I am also wondering whether the 2.3 is avioir de poids rather than troy.

Paul

That weight would include the enamel and it is unlikely that the gold would be higher than 18 carat and possibly lower as high grade gold would be innapropriate for wearing purposes (you very rarely see jewellery at higher than 18 carat). I cannot see it at anything like $2,000 melt, I am also wondering whether the 2.3 is avioir de poids rather than troy.

Paul

I've been back and forth with her via email on the medal. She is pretty convinced she has a treasure. This is probably a lost cause as some idiot will probably buy it to melt down.

Garth