News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Hussar Sword

Hello friends can anyone please help me identify this French Hussar sword and tell me why it has a star on the pommel what model and what year? Some one said it was a U.S. Texas dragoon star and wreath? I find it hard to belive but can not give any other explanation?

Edited by VINLAND30

Some one said it was a U.S. Texas dragoon star and wreath? I find it hard to belive but can not give any other explanation?

Hi,

There's always that "someone"... :)

This saber is absolutely in the style of the French AN XI Light Cavalry officer's swords. The presence of the star may mean something, or it may not. I would [provisionally, for the lack of better photos] date it ca.1810-1820. A Restoration period back piece would've had the three Bourbon fleur de lis, where your star is, but I would think it wasn't mandatory, since these were private purchase items for the officers. Additionally, some remaining Napoleonic swords un-offensive to the new "old" Regime in their decorations, i.e. lacking the letter N, Eagle, Liberty Caps, various unacceptable inscriptions, etc. , were also worn by the officer's who remained in the Army after Waterloo.

You also have to remember that the US purchased the 1820's pattern French sword ( can't recall the exact model date) as an issue to their army. By the time of the Civil War it was being made under license in America. So, who is to say that a special order couldn't have been made ? Needs a museum opinion. It also became one of the most forged swords in the World - the Indians and Italians have made so many that you have to be very careful - but obviously not in this case - the copies are so well made that the best way to detect them is lean on the blade and see if it 'snaps' - but, people don't like you doing this !

Some one said it was a U.S. Texas dragoon star and wreath? I find it hard to belive but can not give any other explanation?

Well, it's possible, I guess. The Republic of Texas was an independant country from 1836-1846 and it did have it's own army and navy. The "Lone Star" was their national symbol at that time, just as it is the state symbol today.

Yeah- I did a quick look at some of my research stuff and later will brave the attic to see if I can glean anything, but my guess is that is a French-style, but US market oriented, private purchase piece for one of the New England Hussar militia companies that were popular from @ 1840-1900.

Well, it's possible, I guess. The Republic of Texas was an independant country from 1836-1846 and it did have it's own army and navy. The "Lone Star" was their national symbol at that time, just as it is the state symbol today.

There is a guy who I know who swears up and down it is a Texas sword he even brought books over my house two times to show me the star and the wreath on their swords.It looks the same but I just think it is too far fetched? I wish it was a Texas sword it would make it a valuable piece. I already asked a civil war museum director and he said no it was not but it would be great if it were.

No need to make a mountain out of a mole-hill...

Consult SABRES PORTES PAR L'ARMEE FRANCAISE, by Jean LHOSTE & Patrick RESEK.

THANKS I WISH I HAD THAT BOOK WHAT DOES IT SAY CAN YOU SCAN THE PAGE PLEASE? THANK YOU

Yeah- I did a quick look at some of my research stuff and later will brave the attic to see if I can glean anything, but my guess is that is a French-style, but US market oriented, private purchase piece for one of the New England Hussar militia companies that were popular from @ 1840-1900.

Very good information thank you for the reply. I had no idea there was a New England Hussar militia.

You also have to remember that the US purchased the 1820's pattern French sword ( can't recall the exact model date) as an issue to their army. By the time of the Civil War it was being made under license in America. So, who is to say that a special order couldn't have been made ? Needs a museum opinion. It also became one of the most forged swords in the World - the Indians and Italians have made so many that you have to be very careful - but obviously not in this case - the copies are so well made that the best way to detect them is lean on the blade and see if it 'snaps' - but, people don't like you doing this !

Hello very good information thank you for your reply. Yes the blade is 100% authentic no question about it and no it didn't snap either LOL The ammount of forgeries comming out of China of this sword is disgusting. I saw them by the pile in local markets behind tabels along with models which never even existed when I was there two years ago. I think the only real one in China was the first one they used to model the rest of their forgeries after LOL I am not sure which model the U.S. purchased either but I know they bought many inports in this period. I think the sword is special order too but not sure what the star stands for? Thanks again for your comments

Hi,

There's always that "someone"... :)

This saber is absolutely in the style of the French AN XI Light Cavalry officer's swords. The presence of the star may mean something, or it may not. I would [provisionally, for the lack of better photos] date it ca.1810-1820. A Restoration period back piece would've had the three Bourbon fleur de lis, where your star is, but I would think it wasn't mandatory, since these were private purchase items for the officers. Additionally, some remaining Napoleonic swords un-offensive to the new "old" Regime in their decorations, i.e. lacking the letter N, Eagle, Liberty Caps, various unacceptable inscriptions, etc. , were also worn by the officer's who remained in the Army after Waterloo.

Thank you for the information about the model. I am still clueles to what the star stands for I would like to find out though. I have never seen a similair one with a star on the pommel. Maybe it stands for rank? I agree on the period you gave an excellent analogy. There are two stanps under the langet a S under a crown and the other stamp is hard to read. Here are a few better photos

• 1 month later...