News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Everyone needs to stop laughing for just a minute. Okay I admit, I know nothing about this subject. I received this postcard, and on the back is a date, which did not make sense. Is it possible that this guy was part of a failed relief mission to DOA by air???

I have no idea at all . So if I have provided nothing else I have provided comic relief this morning. What is up with this guy? Who/what is he?

fri140004.jpg

fri140004_1.jpg

fri140005.jpg

Guest Rick Research

Well. Leo Hagg may have WRITTEN it in Berlin-Neuk?lln on 20 May 1917 "in remembrance of the nice Africa trip Hamburg-America Line" but that doesn't mean the voyage hadn't taken place years and years earlier and he just sent this VERY nice civilian tropical traveling photo to a former cruise-mate.

Lemme go snuffle around and see what I turn up on Herr Hagg. :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Hey, you never know. The weirdest things DID happen.

So far, Leo was never an officer in the navy, and was not a pre-war army officer.

I am assuming he was of that class, to have been a pleasure or business traveller pre-war. He also had enough money for a complete head to toe safari dining experience.

He lived in Berlin in 1917, so that's where I'm off to next.

Guest Rick Research

Hmmm. NOT listed in the Berlin directories of 1917 or 1914... so perhaps dated where he was visiting his un-named former travel companion, not where he lived.

Forgot to mention-- from the suitcase tag, he'd been to EAST Africa, since that's the German East Africa Line, Hamburg.

You've got a Golden Age Of Tourism/ Luggage Fanatic prize winner, there.

Guest Rick Research

Strange people collect... ODD things. You'd be surprised. Not like us. At all. :catjava: