News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RHODESIAN ASST. COMMS. SWORD

British South Africa Police 1897 pattern sword - used by an Asst. Commissioner prior to U.D.I.. Didn't have any particular markings to the BSAP - however, only they, and the Rhodesian Light Infantry, carried a black scabbard. The BSAP were a para-military force and regarded as one - if not the - best colonial police forces. After 1980 they became The Zimbabwe Police.

This example is nice, since it retains the frog.

Mervyn,

That serial number dates your sword to 1958 (and the other one to 1957). You may already be aware of this, but the Wilkinson sales records still exist and enquiries can be made via www.armsresearch.co.uk. There is a small fee, but it is often well worth it. There is no charge if the ledger entry is blank.

Jonathan

Mervyn,

That serial number dates your sword to 1958 (and the other one to 1957). You may already be aware of this, but the Wilkinson sales records still exist and enquiries can be made via www.armsresearch.co.uk. There is a small fee, but it is often well worth it. There is no charge if the ledger entry is blank.

Jonathan

Would the site you link to be of any use re. Rick.S's query in this thread?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36495

Would the site you link to be of any use re. Rick.S's query in this thread?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36495

Unfortunately, only swords with serial numbers can be traced with the Wilkinson records. They began using serial numbers in 1854, so initials, crests, etc. are the only way to research pre-1854 Wilkinson swords.

Jonathan - I understood Wilkinson's had gone out of business and the research was no longer available ?

Wilkinson were bought out many years ago by - I think - Hudnutt's , the US cosmetic co.. About two years after the purchase, the Chairman read a report that told him they owned the only sword factory left in the UK. He immed. tried to have the whole place shipped over, but, I understand he was blocked. Hudnutt's wanted the razor part to fight Gilette.

The sword I posted came to us from Rhodesia and was an asst. comm's. - however, the other one I bought at auction in UK - it had a paper from the S.A.Govt. ordering it on behalf if the Rhodesian Govt.. I can't find this now - but, I don't expect it to be lost. All weapon exports to Rhodesia were banned during UDI - what I couldn't understand , was how it could be ordered by S.A. - they were banned as well ?

Mervyn,

Yes, Wilkinson closed the doors on its sword production some years ago. Records, equipment, and stock were dispersed in various ways. Richard Milner, the proprietor of www.armsresearch.co.uk, now owns the Wilkinson sales records and does look-ups for a fee. I recommend using this service for your swords.

I am not familiar with weapons laws in other countries, but I imagine there are exceptions for swords to be used by military personnel.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Jonathan is correct in his info on Richard Milner. The information comes in on a "Richard Milner Ltd" letter, email address richard@armsresearch.co.uk

I have just received info back on a sword that I have.

It turns out to be an infantry sword to the Southern Rhodesian Gov. On the page that it is listed, (it is numbered 83101), numbers 83098 to 83104 are all sold to the Southern Rhodesian Gov. The date of sale is the same for them all, 14-06-61.

Unfortunately more information than that they cannot give me. Anyone know where we can find information on the swords once they reached Rhodesia?

regards

Thomas