News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3 1916 dated postcards from a chap in the

Hallo Gents :beer:

I have recently obtained three 1916 dated postcards from a chap

in the K. u. k Gebirgskanonenbatterie 2/18 these are unusual in that

they are folding types, double the normal postcard size showing a place

called HOCHENEGG.

There is a lot of penciled info on them, but its in Hungarian if I re-size the pictures detail is lost,

can I send them to anybody by email who would be kind enough to post them, and get a translation?

Many thanks,

Kevin in Deva.

Ken,

Send them to me and I'll post them. Hungarian handwriting may be too hard for me but possibly Hunyadi or one of my friends here in Budapest can help.

There is a Hochenegg in Austria. Look it up on Google maps.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Ken,

Send them to me and I'll post them. Hungarian handwriting may be too hard for me but possibly Hunyadi or one of my friends here in Budapest can help.

There is a Hochenegg in Austria. Look it up on Google maps.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon, :beer:

thanks for the offer to help, email sent.

Kevin.

Kevin,

The postcard pictures arrived ok this time. I printed them out and tried to do some translations but the writing is very faint and it would take a native speaking Hungarian to understand what is said on the cards. It is much to big a task for me to take on, espcially right now. I am reluctant to ask a friend to do this much translating but perhaps someone can give me an abridged version of what each card says. It is probabaly just general info from a man away from home and probably won't contain much historical data. Here is some general info I have gleaned from the cards,

They are dated 1 March, 1916, 4 May, 1916 and May 1917. They all open with the salutation "Kedves Vera" (Dear Vera) who is Kabos Vera who lives in Temesv?r, Hungary. As you said earlier, they all come from Hochenegg which is just across the Hungarian border in Austria and doesn't appear to be located in any major battle areas. I was unable to find anything on the net about the regiment the sender was in. The senders name is not readable on any of the cards.

Time to post the cards.

Regards,

Gordon

1 March, 1916

• 1 month later...