News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bug Attack

Dieter3

Perhaps some of you have been following this:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=37200

But if not, to summarize - I discovered two bugs among my medal collection - they look to have affected both pasteboard and wood cases (2600th Anniversary, Showa Enthronement, 1914-1920 War). No silk damage. Not sure what exactly they are, but they are clearly a threat to my collection and I've gotta go on the offensive!! :violent: These little dudes must have travelled from Japan in one of my medal cases!

You guys are familiar with the materials from which these cases are made - what do you think about placing the cases into a plastic bag with a dessicant and then placing in a freezer overnight? I can freeze anywhere from -10C to -80C, was thinking maybe -20C??

Desperate for advice. :o

You guys are familiar with the materials from which these cases are made - what do you think about placing the cases into a plastic bag with a dessicant and then placing in a freezer overnight? I can freeze anywhere from -10C to -80C, was thinking maybe -20C??

Desperate for advice. :o

Until you can come up with a positive identification, you won't know for certain what the temperature ranges the eggs/larvae can endure, or for how long.

There are plant seeds that require a freeze/thaw cycle before the seeds will germinate. I wouldn't rule out some insects requiring something similar. Try this: put the bagged items in the freezer for a week (or two), take them out and let them thaw out and remain at room temperature for a few days or even a couple of weeks. It's possible the freeze and then thawing to "normal" temps might cause any eggs to hatch. Then...put the bagged items right back in the freezer before the things reach adult breeding age and lay more eggs.

Repeat the process again, perhaps for a total of three times. After that, keep the items in a sealed display item where you can keep tabs on it, and be certain it won't lead to other items in your collection (or house) being infested, or if your house is infested with something, that the items aren't going to be re infested.

Rick/Stogie, is that worth trying until there's better information to act on?

Les

You're right, without a positive ID it'd be tough to come up with a perfect strategy. Pretty sure we have it down to the family of beetle so I'll do some more research on controlling this group, what the life cycles might be, etc. I do know some of the beetles do indeed wait until warmer months to hatch and then do their thing. And now that it is warmer, they may have been triggered! Granted our house has never dropped below 70F so not sure if these critters are experiencing what could be normal cycles for them anyway.

I might just try one case down to -80C just to see what happens. We do store cardboard boxes and paper at this temperature, not sure if they are "special" material boxes or not, but they are made for the purpose of going into ultra-low temp. freezers. They don't seem special. I doubt any of these little dudes would survive -80C, but I'm not sure if these cases will either.....

Will try for the -20C first for half a day and examine the cases, then go for a day. take it small steps at a time, in the meantime watch the collection lie a hawk for any new appearances and try to catch living specimens if possible. I'm hoping I never see one again!