News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schaumburg-Lippe Officer's Honor Cross

This recent auction purchase arrived today. Very nice hollow gold with just some minor enamel damage on the rose device. Info. is hard to come by but, Neal O'Conner noted that 46 were awarded between 1914 and 1918. With the red center enamel, this is apparently a post-1911 piece. Does more complete information on the Schaumburg-Lippe awards exist?

Edited by Beau Newman

Guest Rick Research

Yes. The Schaumburg Honor Cross Roll will be published later this year or next year whenever Daniel can fit it in.

These were awarded right to war's end. Not sure how definitive one can be about the gold versus silver-gilt pieces since the Schaumburg Roll does not specify which was awarded and there is always the possibility that they handed out existing stock until they were gone.

Guest Rick Research

Apologies for an interrupted reply but I had a crisis right smack dab in the middle of the above, last night. :speechless1:

I neglected to mention-- of course-- that the annual award numbers of the Schaumburg Honor Cross will be in Eric Ludvigsen's book, which Paul was picking up at the printers TODAY.

That'll steal SOME of our Rolls thunder, as far as TOTALS go... but Daniel and I still have the NAMES and added personal details. There will also be "dramatic revelations" concerning the Schaumburg Rolls.

Meanwhile, what a :love::love::love::jumping:

And starting next week after Paul gets home, anyone who wants Eric's magnum opus will have some real eye openers.

According to O'Connor, the rolls show 46 total wartime awards but make no specific mention of how many were awarded with swords. Perhaps it was assumed that awards to military personnel would be with swords.

On another note, these red centered awards seem to have been made by Busch. This firm is often overlooked because they did mostly Hannoverian and Lippe pieces but, their work was of very fine quality.

Guest Rick Research

Neal didn't have the complete annual numbers-- but you'll have them soon enough from what will forever after be known as "Ludvigsen." :ninja:

Swords will have to wait for Daniel's final work on the total Rolls. I finished my part and now it's in his hands pre-publication.

WTTW: Last chance to find and buy Lippe Honor Cross/House Orders "before" people. :catjava: