News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brasil ODM

whoa!!

Can we see that bar close up please?

Here they are, with names. Most of them came from Randal in Rio (a little shop on the plaza in front of the Opera House) in the late '70's, but Jeff will recognize one or two.

Ordem do Merito Naval (Order of Naval Merit), Commander?s neck badge, gilt and enamel, EF, no chips

Navy Distinguished Cross (Medalha Naval dos Servicos Distintos), VF

Combat Cross, 1st Class, Mint

Pacificator Medal, VF+

Campaign Cross, Forca Expedicionaria Brasileira (F.E.B.), Italy, 1944, Mint

Campaign Medal, South Atlantic, Mint

War Cross, 1939-45, Mint

Long Service Medal with 3 stars, (30 Years Service), Mint

Semi-Centennial Medal of the Republic 1889-1939, silver, VF+

Probably wishful thinking, but does anyone have a ribbon for the last one (Semi-Centennial)?

Best,

Hugh

Hugh,

Those are great examples of the "Ordem da Rosa". Impressive examples! Congratulations.

The medals are also nice. But I'm afraid that this combination would be impossible.

Randal is still the official supplier of decoraions for the Brazilian Armed Forces, but their products has been suffering with lack of quality standards lately.

Douglas

Hugh,

Those are great examples of the "Ordem da Rosa". Impressive examples! Congratulations.

The medals are also nice. But I'm afraid that this combination would be impossible.

Randal is still the official supplier of decorations for the Brazilian Armed Forces, but their products has been suffering with lack of quality standards lately.

Douglas

Thanks for you comments. I never intended to suggest that the medals were awarded to a single individual, but I can see why some might assume that.

Some years ago, I dealt with H. Stern as a supplier of ODM for Brasil. Are they still involved?

Best,

Hugh

H. Stern is the most reputable jewelry maker in Brazil today. This company was involved with medals/awards producing in the past, but I'm afraid that they are not in this business anymore. The quality of its craftmanship is expensive for the current budget of the Brazilian government. You know how it works: the contract winner is always the lowest bidder.

But I can try to confirm that.

In addition I should tell you that we (Brazilians) created a net forum to discuss militaria and there is a specific board to help foreigners:

www.ommb.com.br/forum

I'm sure that folks over there would love to see your awards.

Douglas

Edited by Douglas Jr.

I used to travel to Rio fairly regularly many years ago, working with the Marinha da Guerra. It's a beautiful city, of course, and one of my favorite buildings was the little green church out on the point of land in the Arsenal. I seem to remember that Dom Pedro left from there to return to Portugal (1889?).

H. Stern was quite famous at the time, and had fabulous things. I managed to bring back a little something back to my wife.

I signed up for the forum a week or two ago, thanks. I was surprised to see so many USA posts there. I'll post these pictures there.

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh