News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fantastic ugly historical EK doc...

"Gruppe Wytschaete" in October 1917... Iron Cross 1st class to a Maschinengewehr Scharfsch?tzen NCO.... this is the stuff horrors are made of.

October 1917... one of the rainiest months in 100 years.... Flanders.... the 3rd bavarian MGSSA was attached to the 6th Bavarian division... this was the first battle of bloody Passchendaele...

I thought Passchendaele took place a few km north of Wytschaete or White Sheet. I know the wife's grandad was in the Wytschaete Bogen when the mines were blown on the Menin Ridge in June 1917 and I also know he was wounded in October during 3rd Ypres but have no idea if his unit was still in the Wytshaete area or nearer to Passchendaele.

A nice piece of paper to have though.

By the way, I've just sold a memorial plaque to an AIF man who died of wounds in October 17 in the Ypres salient, I wonder if your MGSS was responsible for the gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Tony

Hi,

Gruppe Wytschaete was on the very Southern edge. I guess you could call it a side show to Passchaendale.

best

Chris

Sounds a bit like Gommecourt on the Somme.

Hurry up and research him and his unit then and post it :rolleyes:

Tony