News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French reproduction British Victory medal

RobW

To one and all,

I am attempting to confirm or deny if a French made reproduction of the Great Britain Victory medal for the Great War was ever produced. I am not sure if to post here or in the Great Britain forum so will choose both.

This victory medal is depicted as illustration no. 158 on page 45 of M. Delande's 1934 Paris work 'Les Ordres Fran?ais, Les Ordres Coloniaux, M?dailles Comm?moratives, M?dailles d'Honneur des Minist?res, Les Croix et M?dailles, de la Guerre 1914-18, des Pays Alli?s'. Of note is that most of the interallied victory medal series are illustrated in this work, and there exist many specimens of these repro's including the Japanese, Czech, Greek, and US versions, as well as possibly the Belgian model.

It is depicted with a ball suspender which was common for most of the produced and seen French repro's and it is most likely to have BRONZE on the edge and the hallmark of M. Delande (a small square or more likely a lozenge shaped hallmark). I have attached a copy of the illustration in question, taken from an original 1934 copy of the catalogue (and a very fragile book it is; but it has such marvelously wonderful drawings especially of the Colonial decorations !).

Have any collectors identified an actual specimen of this variety as it is still unconfirmed, through two editions of Mr Laslo's work and the ensuing 75 years?

Can anyone help??

Regards,

Rob

To one and all,

I am attempting to confirm or deny if a French made reproduction of the Great Britain Victory medal for the Great War was ever produced. I am not sure if to post here or in the Great Britain forum so will choose both.

This victory medal is depicted as illustration no. 158 on page 45 of M. Delande's 1934 Paris work 'Les Ordres Fran?ais, Les Ordres Coloniaux, M?dailles Comm?moratives, M?dailles d'Honneur des Minist?res, Les Croix et M?dailles, de la Guerre 1914-18, des Pays Alli?s'. Of note is that most of the interallied victory medal series are illustrated in this work, and there exist many specimens of these repro's including the Japanese, Czech, Greek, and US versions, as well as possibly the Belgian model.

It is depicted with a ball suspender which was common for most of the produced and seen French repro's and it is most likely to have BRONZE on the edge and the hallmark of M. Delande (a small square or more likely a lozenge shaped hallmark). I have attached a copy of the illustration in question, taken from an original 1934 copy of the catalogue (and a very fragile book it is; but it has such marvelously wonderful drawings especially of the Colonial decorations !).

Have any collectors identified an actual specimen of this variety as it is still unconfirmed, through two editions of Mr Laslo's work and the ensuing 75 years?

Can anyone help??

Regards,

Rob

Rob,

I'll take a stab at answering. I personally don't think a french made British Victory Medal exists. I have seen legitimate French made examples of the US DSC and DSM; and the British DCM and MM. The only reason I could think of that these exist is for french recipients and also in the case of the US pieces a shortage of US made medals in France to be awarded to US servicemen. Each country had it's own type of victory medal which were distributed after WW1 so there would be no real point in having a french made British or US Victory Medal as each country would have given it's service personel their own version of the Victory Medal. Hope that makes sense.

BTW I am fortunate to own a copy of the M.Delande soft cover French medal reference. I can't think of a better one on the more obscure colonial medals.

Garth

To all,

The closest thing I have to such a French repro is a French produced British victory medal miniature. It was picked up from a French dealer in Paris. It is suspended by a ball suspender and looks close to that above. While it is suspended from French style vic miniature ribbon that, in itself, is not an indicator of anything. Happy for any thoughts on the issue.

Regards,

Ro