News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Cross Medal Questions

Tim B

I don't collect Red Cross medals normally but, I came across this one recently and thought it was a standard "Member's" medal from the 1904-05 Russian Campaign period. Even had the Meiji style bow ribbon for what I thought was the lapel device.

Once it arrived however, I noticed two things that puzzled me on it.

First, the bow is attached to the suspension ribbon. Actually sewn on and appears in the same original color thread. My first thoughts were, was this done just to keep the two pieces together until the member could get a pin for the bow? If so, was this practice normal?

The second thing that I thought odd, was the medal "coin" is made out of aluminum, not silver or other metal. I thought that aluminum medals were made during the 1930's and then I started to ask exactly what am I looking at? Unfortunately, there just isn't very much good thorough information out there on these Red Cross medals, or at least I haven't found any.

Any help here?

Tim

Hi Paul,

Yea, I honestly didn't think the bow was normal as is, but the thread that is used to attach it to the suspension ribbon is identical to the thread on the eye part of the hook & eye, so IMO, period done. Like you say, somebody probably had it done and wore it that way. Got it recently from a Japanese family stateside.

Is the reverse on these "members medals" the same throughout the periods, other than the metal used?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Paul,

Yea, I honestly didn't think the bow was normal as is, but the thread that is used to attach it to the suspension ribbon is identical to the thread on the eye part of the hook & eye, so IMO, period done. Like you say, somebody probably had it done and wore it that way. Got it recently from a Japanese family stateside.

Is the reverse on these "members medals" the same throughout the periods, other than the metal used?

Thanks,

Tim

Yes except for the one issued for the 1904 - 05 War. it state on the reverse "Meiji 37 - 38 Year War: Relief Commemerative Medal; Japanese Red Cross Society."

The regular medals have the Societies foundation date on the reverse. "Meiji Year 21"

Source: "In the Name of a Living God" P L Murphy & S L Ackley

Edited by Laurence Strong

Also the 1904 - 05 issue was an unauthorised issue and came without a ribbon

Hi Larry,

I was trying to go off: http://www.xavierb.net/japan/ (need Java to open it)

Looking at his site; I was under the impression that mine was of the 1904-05 coinage. I see where he states that aluminum was used during the "war years" and also later in the 40's. His pictures are too small to read the Kanji clearly, but are the reverse dates not the same (1904/05)?

After reading his write-up, I assume the 1904-05 issue to be an authorized award. He calls the bronze colored one, a variation or commemorative that was without ribbon. The women's medal he shows is actually silver, not bronze like the one you show.

Tim

Larry,

I think I see now; got this from another site that was down and now back up:

http://p2.hostingprod.com/@imperialjapanme....com/index.html

Regular membership

medal. Silver color,

usually aluminum.

Dated Meiji 21 [1888].

Note that this date is

used for all Red Cross

medals from 1888 to

Russo-Japan War

Commemorative medal.

Bronze color; unknown metal.

Dated Meiji 37-8 [1904-5].

I was under the impression mine was the 1904-05 variety, but now see it is not. So with that bit of information then, I assume the piece had to be made later on during some "wartime" period as it's made from aluminum?

On the bow; did all period red cross member medals use a bow? I know on some higher grades they used a cross-shape rosette, but what about regular member's medals? If I look at decorations; Meiji era used ribbon bows and Showa era used round rosettes, but are these Red Cross awards different?

Thanks again!

Tim