News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yser Commemorative Medal (Coin)

In October 1914, the entire Belgian Army was called to defend the Yser and stop the German advance to the sea. Their actions during this two week period stopped the advance which later allowed the opening for a Western Front and showed the Germans that the Belgians would not be knocked out of the war early on. At an incredible cost of over 60,000 Belgian soldiers, a third of the entire army, the victory gave the Belgian people a renewed sense of hope.

One of the commemoratives that are often seen on the market include this table medal (coin). What I didn't know for sometime was that it was actually in two different languages and I assume this was done depending on what language the soldier spoke?

1)Homage to

"solider's name"

3) holder of the fire card

My 2nd question deals with 2) What does the "A" or "AAN" represent?

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by Tim B

• 2 months later...

Okay, let me ask again...

I know there was a bronze and silver but, was there also a gold version? I had assumed that the bronze was for enlisted and the silver for officers, but have heard gold was for officers?

Any help?

Tim

• 11 months later...

Well, not much interest in these I guess but, thought I would post what appears to be a more modern example of these.

This one is not mine and currently being sold at auction. Interesting that the sides appear cut this way and assume the seller just didn't crop the photos as the edges look pretty raw in the PIC.

Tim

post-548-070906700 1286309106_thumb.jpg

• 12 years later...

I don't think there is a silver or gold version. I had a bronze one that was glued in a frame. I put it in a fire to remove the glue and then clean it. While cleaning it became silver colored.

On 24/10/2009 at 07:31, Tim B said:

Okay, let me ask again...

I know there was a bronze and silver but, was there also a gold version? I had assumed that the bronze was for enlisted and the silver for officers, but have heard gold was for officers?

Any help?

Tim

post-548-125636228524.jpg

yser_penning_1.jpg

yser_penning_2.jpg

yser_penning_3.jpg

yser_penning_4.jpg