News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dragon Of Annam

Richard LaTondre

I am expanding my collection efforts to the medals (primarily referred to as 'colonial) of French IndoChina. I recently acquired a Dragon d'Annam Knightclass Order, that has a shield in the center of Onyx Black with gold letters (left). I have only seen these medals with a blue oval medallion with silver seal characters (old chiinese) as shown on the medal on the right The characters read the same the difference being black w/gold inscription and blue with silver characters. I can realize that there are many variations of this order due to its years, but this strikes me as being a major variation. Both of these medals were made in France. The different ribbons denote the awarding authority, i.e., Yellow with red stripes awarded by the emperor and yellow/orange with green awarded by the president of France. I know there is someone out there that can give me the answer.

Thanks,

Dick

Sorry the photos aren't better

Edited by Richard LaTondre

Mine appears to be blue with gold characters.

Hugh

Thanks for the response but can you be a little more specific when you use the term 'appears' because if it is in fact blue with gold writing it may indicate a different class as opposed to the gold wearing off, etc.

I only used "appears" because I'm looking at it through glass in a shadow box. In fact, I have little doubt that it's gold on blue. It doesn't appear to be the goldish oxidation that you sometimes see in silver. It's on the emperor's ribbon.

Hugh

I only used "appears" because I'm looking at it through glass in a shadow box. In fact, I have little doubt that it's gold on blue. It doesn't appear to be the goldish oxidation that you sometimes see in silver. It's on the emperor's ribbon.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

Could you tell me what class/order your medal is?

Have you ever seen one like mine that is written in gold on a black oval?

Mine is a Knight's class, acquired in more innocent days from our old friend Bogdan. (That may raise certain questions as well)

Here's a picture through glass. Perhaps we should ask John Sylvester. I have an old snail mail address for him. What do you think?

VIETNAM (Annam) ? Ordre du Dragon d?Annam (Order of the Dragon of Annam), Knight?s badge, silver, center enameled, w/ original dragon / crown suspension device and ribbon, VF

La Galerie Numismatique, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2/07

Hugh

Mine is a Knight's class, acquired in more innocent days from our old friend Bogdan. (That may raise certain questions as well)

Here's a picture through glass. Perhaps we should ask John Sylvester. I have an old snail mail address for him. What do you think?

VIETNAM (Annam) ? Ordre du Dragon d?Annam (Order of the Dragon of Annam), Knight?s badge, silver, center enameled, w/ original dragon / crown suspension device and ribbon, VF

La Galerie Numismatique, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2/07

Hugh

Hi Hugh!

You take better pictures through glass frames hanging on the wall than I do with a camera setup. I found the answer to the dilemna on the OMSA site. One of the members stated that the version made in France used a very dark blue/black stone, while the version made in country used a light blue stone. Here is an excellent example:

http://www.france-phaleristique.com/accueil.htm

Thanks for your help.

Dick

Hi Hugh!

You take better pictures through glass frames hanging on the wall than I do with a camera setup. I found the answer to the dilemna on the OMSA site. One of the members stated that the version made in France used a very dark blue/black stone, while the version made in country used a light blue stone. Here is an excellent example:

http://www.france-phaleristique.com/accueil.htm

Thanks for your help.

Dick

Just as we thought it was all coming together . . . . . I noticed that in Edward J. Emerings OMSA monograph "Orders, Decorations, and Medals of the French Overseas and the Post-Colonial Periods", on page 5, the two medals are pictured side by side and they both have blue center shields.

Dick