News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First Lieutenant John F. Brown Jr.

jaba1914

I need your help reaserch about First Lieutenant John F. Brown Jr.

Only i know is:

born: 1893

30.03.1917 - 15.11.1917 Flying Cadet

Rating certificate purchased at 01.03.1924 for junior airplane pilot

Pilot licence number 11698

Regards

Alex

Guest Rick Research

This is such an incredibly common name (like Hans Schmidt) that without a COMPLETE day/month/year of birth to differentiate him from all the OTHER John Browns....

I need your help reaserch about First Lieutenant John F. Brown Jr.

Only i know is:

born: 1893

30.03.1917 - 15.11.1917 Flying Cadet

Rating certificate purchased at 01.03.1924 for junior airplane pilot

Pilot licence number 11698

Regards

Alex

HI Alex,

I will look tonight in my references. What do you want to know? Just posting or squadron info?

@Rick Research

If i had the date of birth i would post it. But i haven't.

@Chris Liontas

Everything you can find out about him. Thank

I post the picture of his rating certificate. The only one document i have.

Regards Alex

Hi Alex!

I apologize, I am a day late with this. I completely forgot about it. It looks like LT Feeman was overseas (which is awesome) but not assigned a front line unit (which is commonplace)

Without further Adieu:

According to New England Aviators 1914 - 1918, printed 1919, page 194:

John Freeman Brown Jr.

1LT, USAAS

Son of John F. Brown and Alice R Brown-born 27 May 1893 in Milton Mass., USA

Attended Phillips Andover Academy and Harvard University

Enlisted March 31, 1917, appointed SGT., Trained for aviation at Newport News, MIT, and Essignton Pa.

Promoted 1 LT in Nov 1917

Sailed Overseas Nov 1917. Advanced training at Issoudun and Clermont-Ferrand:

In March 1918, he was sent to training school at Stonehenge, Eng, for six week course in night bombing. Returned to Clermont-Ferrand he was put in charge of one of the flying fields and later became instructor there in Aerial Navigation. After Armistice he was ordered to the 2md Army of Occupation as a Navigation Officer, Dec, 1918 (New England Aviators 1914-1918. Their Portraits and their Records. Houghton Mifflin Co. The Riverside PRess, Cambridge, MA, 1920. Page 194.)

Edited by Chris Liontas

How do the 1920s dates on the certificate fit into this story? Are we talking about the same person? The certificate seems to say that the one asked about didn't get his JAP wings until 1924...... Doc

Hi Alex!

I apologize, I am a day late with this. I completely forgot about it. It looks like LT Feeman was overseas (which is awesome) but not assigned a front line unit (which is commonplace)

Not to late Chris, just at the right moment :cheers:

Yesterday i found one more document from him. Sorry that i post this so late. But i forgott that i had this one.

The most of the lettering i can't read. Hope it will help to find out if it is the person you write.

Thank a lot for the help.

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Guest Rick Research

Wellllll, why didn'tcha SAY so? I have "Phillips Academy, Andover in the Great War" and "Harvard's Military Record in the World War"... back in a bit with scans on him including another photo.

All it needed was complete birth date. :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

Claude Moore Fuess, ""Phillips Academy, Andover in the Great War," New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1919. Entry page 313, photo facing page 368.

Brown, who SHOULD have graduated with the class of either 1910 or 1911, in fact graduated in 1914 when a normal American youth of that age would either just have finished college (not high school) or been a college senior.

Guest Rick Research

Frederick S. Mead, "Harvard's Military Record in the World War," Boston,MA: Harvard Alumni Association Press, 1921:

Note that he merely ATTENDED Harvard for 2 years-- he did NOT graduate from Harvard.

This is all rather "interesting" since Milton, Massachusetts was and is a nest of privilge of the largely idle rich. Massachusetts' previous governor and recent Presidential candidate Mitt Romney has a home there. The current Governor (and his illegally non-registered sex offender brother in law) also reside there. Standards HAVE slipped, but MONEY remains the constant.

Guest Rick Research

Ah, for the days when Hahvuhd Yahd actually HAD a war record that was FOR their country!

Anyway,

Frank A. Day, "Harvard Class of 1918 Fiftieth Anniversary Report," Cambridge, MA: Printed at the University, 1968:

And for those of you wondering-- amazingly enough, he was NOT a cousin of mine-- at all!!!!

Guest Rick Research

Nawww, just books between the Stuffed Owls and Sea Monsters (Dubious) in Vault Three of the Archives. It simply comes down to knowing where to look rather than wasting vast amounts of time looking in the wrong places.

Phillips there is rather a pain because there is no index. You have to know what the graduating class year was-- and he was THREE YEARS LATE graduating from high school-- normal at 17 or 18. He was 21! Luckily I found his photo flipping through and that got me to the right year.

Excellent Rick! Thank you for posting!

As for the 1920's dates, I am not as worried. It is the same guy, the photo Rick posted is the exact same photo in the 1919 copy of my book detailing New England Aviators. Really neat to find that! Thanks for posting!!

Maybe I should post some of my pilot stuff :)

Lol!

I am still working on re-arranging my room that all the stuff is in....but here is a in process shot :) I'll post more info once it is all setup :)

Vary nice uniforms. I love it. Can you show some close-ups of those.

Regard Alex