News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

QUEEN VICTORIA CROWNS

These two crowns (five shilling pieces) are both British. The 1891 has the 'old' head and the other one her 'young' head. I know very little about coins and couldn't understand why there was no date on the older coin. Only after cleaning could we see a very tiny ' 1844' under the head. The inscription around the edge states that it was in her 8th year as Queen - and as she came to the throne in 1837 this is correct.

The Arms are the type introduced in 1835 - so all was rather new.

I would be grateful for any other info. collectors on this sub-forum can give - also, an approx. value ? Thankyou.

I think it interesting to see how the style of wording has changed over a 47 year period. On the 1891 version all wording is on one side and initials - such as F.D. and Brit. Reg. are used rather than the full words. The 1844 boldly states ' VICTORIA BY THE GRACE OF GOD ' on the

Head side and on the reverse Britain's Queen and Def. Fid.(Defendere Fidelis) 'Defender of the Faith' - a title granted by the Pope to Henry 8th.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 5 weeks later...

I think it interesting to see how the style of wording has changed over a 47 year period. On the 1891 version all wording is on one side and initials - such as F.D. and Brit. Reg. are used rather than the full words. The 1844 boldly states ' VICTORIA BY THE GRACE OF GOD ' on the

Head side and on the reverse Britain's Queen and Def. Fid.(Defendere Fidelis) 'Defender of the Faith' - a title granted by the Pope to Henry 8th.

Dear Mervin,

Both the coins appear to be very well circulated and as such tend to retail at about £15 each.

Interestingly the 1845 crown also has the regnal year VIII meaning it was struck prior to the June of that year and your coin was struck following June.

All the best,

Paul

• 1 month later...

Yes, both interesting Crowns from Queen Victoria, but as per the other reply, quite well worn, and so worth only a little over their Silver scrap value.

For information, there are 4 "head" types to Victorian Crowns:

The Young head (dates 1844, 1845 and 1847) as per the first picture in the original topic. There are variations on the edge lettering by regnal year, and also by the "stop" (cinquefoil or star stops).

The Jubilee Head (dates 1887 to 1892) as per the second picture. These are probably the commonest, particularly 1887. There are slight variations, but more by accident than design.

The Veiled head (dates 1893 to 1900) with the much older veiled head, which many would recognise from the later Victorian pennies. These are generally scarcer than the jubilee heads, but commoner than the Young heads. There are two distinct varieties for each year based on the Regnal year inscribed on the edge.

The Gothic Head (dated 1847 in Roman Numerals) with a totally different elaborate gothic bust and reverse. (You may see something similar on contemporary Indian Coins, or the English Florins.) This is the one to find! Prices start around £400 and go well up from there.

I have not listed dates for the very rare proof coins, as these are so scarce that no-one is likely to turn one up by accident!

PaddyB

Hi Mervyn - a pleasure to hear from you. I am actually near Dorchester, and yes, Dorset is a wonderful county! I see you are from SA - I was born in Jo'burg.

My main interest is coins - hence my post on Crowns - but I do see quite a lot of Militaria in my travels, and occasional interesting badges. I came to this group researching a British Fascist badge I found in a job lot locally.

Paddy