News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with Wolseley helmet, please.

Hi guys,

I picked up my first Wolseley helmet at flea market this past weekend. I believe it to be a WWII era, authentic helmet. Although I am always open to corrections.

The writing on the liner and the sweatband is where I really would like some opinions. It all appears to hand written and certainly looks old, to me at least. The writing on the liner is Trinidad Jan 1942, the sweat band says SS Athina Livanos and Edgar Taylor Wireless Operator.

The Greek cargo ship Athina Livanos SS was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine on November 29th, 1943, in the Gulf of Aden. Nine of her crew and two passengers were lost.

What might the relationship between Trinidad, Greek merchant ship and a wireless operator be and would he have a Wolseley pattern helmet?

Any thoughts, ideas or opinions are always welcome..thanks, Jeff

Edited by jholl72

Hi Jeff,

I am afraid that it is not a Wolseley helmet. I have heard it called the "Standard Pattern" but do not have any corroborating evidence. It does look like the style worn by sailors in the 1920s and '30s.

It is similar to the civilian Shikari helmet which was used a lot in hunting. British officers probably used it when off duty to preserve their expensive Wolseleys.

Here is a photo of sailors from HMS Tarantula in Canton in 1937. Note the similarity of the helmet to theirs.

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeff,

I take it you have an interest in Wolseleys. There is a topic devoted to them on the forum and you can see plenty in my Collectors Showcase topic.

I am also just finishing off a book devoted to the Wolseley (www.militarysunhelmets.com) so feel free to ask questions if you need to.

Stuart

Hi Jeff,

I take it you have an interest in Wolseleys. There is a topic devoted to them on the forum and you can see plenty in my Collectors Showcase topic.

I am also just finishing off a book devoted to the Wolseley (www.militarysunhelmets.com) so feel free to ask questions if you need to.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I had found that thread after buying that first helmet and it indeed did help me with this second purchase. Being a novice Wolseley collector it's great to have someone experienced to confirm what you think you learned.LOL!

I am most interested in your book and look forward to getting a copy.

BTW, I have just checked out your collection thread and all I can say is WOW! I can only aspire to have a headgear collection like that! One Wolseley at time I guess.

Thanks!