News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Quiz of the day - what uniform is this ?

Hello all - quiz of the day , open to everyone..... what uniform is this young fellow wearing , what kind of unit / troops is that????

Something is written on the back but I will let you fire some shots before showing it because I have never heard that in that context...

Good luck to all :catjava:

Heiko

Guest Rick Research

He is a VERY naughty man. :shame:

I have seen the Imperial crown mis-used on shoulder boards for Marineinfanterie AND the Schutztruppen on improvised "tropical" uniforms like this. The Imperial Automobile Corps generally wore the "naval" crown on their sleeves... but did not wear specific RANK insignia like this Oberleutnant.

The ice cream salesman's cap is more peculiar, because Imperial troops had ONLY the black-white-red cockade, which should be worn alone on the cap band.

What he is doing with TWO cockades is a mystery to me.

If he has legibly signed his complete name, there may be hope.

So if no one wants to guess I will let you know what it is ..... it is rare enough...

it is Kamerad WIEGAND as prisoner of war in Japan 1914-18 , captured in Kiautschou / China as member of the

MOBILER LANDSTURM !!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

never heard before of that in Kiautschou..... see the cockade !!!

.............and thanks to a member of a german forum - he had Wiegand in his database (he is a Japan-supporter :D )

he looks very good for his age I must say - he is born 1877 !!!! so when this photo was taken he was shortly before 40 - I want to look the same in 3-4 years... :P

Guest Rick Research

Ha! I refer the jury to my remarks above:

Leopold was a Very Naughty Man.

He was, as I surmised, in the Marineinfanterie--

1 Year Volunteer 1 October 1898

Leutnant der Reserve Marineinfanterie 11.05.05

Oberleutnant dR (MI) 09.06.14

and after his return home and demobilization 21 January 1920

charakterisiert Hauptmann dR (MI) 26.03.21

He should only have one cockade, and the crown on his shoulder boards are not correct but "fashionable."

I myself have reached an age not YET appropriate to refer to as "well preserved," but I do enjoy listening to my former high school classmates complain at the local barbershop that I still have all MY hair. :catjava: Of course, I also have hair in places I never had before and do not particularly want NOW... :speechless1:

but you'll find out. Oh yes, you'll find out.... :whistle:

With the exception is the second cockade, everything else, including the crown on the boards, appears to be normal. The second cockade may be a personal preference or have something to do with his Reserve/Landsturm status. This may have made more sense than having a "Landwehr" cross on a national cockade! This same outfit (less the second cockade) is shown in "Das Deutsche Heer", Band III, plate 170a.

Chip