News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Regimental Gold-Pendant Help ID

Dear Forumites,

i recently aquired an very small bar with two british regimental pendants.

It is made of Gold and Silver and hallmarked for 375 Gold, Birmingham and the letter N for as i believe 1937.

Makers Mark is J.W.B that stands maybe for James Wiliam Benson?. A company from London.

The left one belongs to the 3rd Carabiniers (former Prince of Wales's Dragoon Guards.

I have no idea abbout the second badge showing the motto of the Order of the garter.

general question: who was wearing such bars? women or men?

are they common? i payed 50 euros for it.

thanks in advance

josef

These are ' sweetheart'brooches - made for wives or, girlfriends to wear to show that their loved ones were fighting. The habit of wearing them really started in the Boer War (1900's) and was very popular in both WW1 and WW2. Someone recently showed a diamond studded one (I think it was Chris ?) - these were usually from senior officers. These two are both hallmarked, but troops would often want the best for their women - so, it is not a definite guide that it was from an officer. I posted a board of these badges a little while ago - a very collectable field.

@mervyn, peter, Mike

thanks for your explantions. indeed a very collectible field.

another question to the regiments on this brooch (POWDG and Worcestershire Regiment) Are these regiments,

normal regiments, respected regiments or well-respected regiments?

thanks in advance

josef

Edited by Josef Rietveld