News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Napoleon medal question

Garth Thompson

I recently aquired this Conquest of Naples non-wearable medallion. I found it on the 1815 Paris Mint list as a Laskey #68. The size is 40mm in diameter and approximately 4mm thick. My questions are what was the purpose of these medals and does it have any collectability or value?

Thank you,

Garth

Edited by Garth Thompson

I recently aquired this Conquest of Naples non-wearable medallion. I found it on the 1815 Paris Mint list as a Laskey #68. The size is 40mm in diameter and approximately 4mm thick. My questions are what was the purpose of these medals and does it have any collectability or value?

Thank you,

Garth

Garth

I don't know thing one about value, but here's my take on your medal:

the Napoleonic period saw, in much of Europe, a fascination with 'artistic things'. The Industrial Revolution and widespread literacy created a new [monied] middle class who began not only to read the news but also to decorate their homes with prints, cheap paintings and 'objet d'art'. Many of the latter were curios from the colonies or reproductions of Greek, Roman and Egyptian artifacts but patriotic busts, printss and medallions were also very popular.

In England, for example, a Scot named Davidson personally paid for medals in gold silver and pewter to go to all members of the Royal Navy present at the battle of the Nile or at Trafalgar. Many copies of his medals and others like them were struck by various commercial types to sell to the general public as souvenirs. Think "Chuck and Diana's wedding"! I was in london the next week and the stuff was knee deep in the streets.

Many of the nineteenth century examples are truly beutiful: well made and pleasingly designed. I'm sure there are collectors of same but, sadly, they elicit little interest among we who collect ' the real thing' - campaign medals and decorations.

My tuppence worth and more!

Peter