News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have just finished reading a regimental history of Infanterie=Regiment Nr. 30, and as the German troops are marching back to Germany in late 1918, they are joined by " 1./Flamga 918 " and two battalions of field artillery. What sort of unit might that be? Rings no bells in my belfry.

Bob Lembke

Edited by bob lembke

" 1./Flamga 918 "

Flak-MG-Abteilung?

Thanks, Gilles;

I think that you may be right. Did not think of it myself. On their march they had been harrassed by strafing and bombing aircraft, including at night by aircraft dropping powerful parachute flares. At this time they were rapidly forming and disbanding units to meet immediate needs. So such a formation would be a welcome marching companion.

Bob Lembke

Guest Rick Research

Flamga 914 Kaiser's birthday 1918

This photo is from 1916 so not a "Flamga," but the sort of close support, mass small arms firepower intended to deal with the WW1 equivalent of "Jabos" strafing front line trenches

Easier to hid than Flak guns and more likely to spew lead into a low flying plane.

Guest Rick Research

Lots of weird abbreviations back then. One of my favorites is the "WuMBA." Major Soundso of the "WuMBA" or even better, of the Kriegsamt (as if there was another?) of the WuMBA. The central WuMBA was in Berlin but there were branch WuMBAs all across Germany, with legions of WuMBA-workers toiling away towards final victory in the

Wirtschafts-

und-

Munitions-

Beschaffungs-

Ämter