News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greater East-Asia War Medal

Dieter3

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So, with regards to the commemorative medal, what he heck color is the ribbon? All that I've seen in pictures look white. I got one today and the ribbon has a pinkish hue to it. Doesn't look stained, it is totally uniform throughout the "white" band, the other colors look normal. The pinkish seems kinda weird though, or is this normal? (I'll get around to pics. eventually....)

Found one of these too. I've seen 3 specimens over the past year, been able to examine two including this one that I scored. I'm actually uncertain as to whether these are raw silk, or even wool. What ever the material, definitely not like the typical watered silk ribbons. The clasp is interesting too, though I neglected to photograph and post here. Indeed, the cases are of black lacquered wood. The insert on this was easy to remove, and revealed a number on the bottom of the case. Cardboard box an extra plus IMHO, but this one also came with a small insert (pictured folded on the box top) - similar to the chronological summary documents that can be found with the more common variants, but this one actually has the company name and address on it! If I've got my research straight, these were made sometime between 1967 and 1987. The document suggests these were indeed made for veterans, but doesn't appear that these were given, rather made available for purchase. (This company still exists, but not as the company that made the medal, it was "absorbed" into part of what is now "Seiyu Retail Support Co.".) These are much heavier and solid than the ones in the plastic cases. This one is in very good condition save some light wear to the exterior and some foxing to the interior of the cardboard box, very light wear to the lacquer case, and a tiny stain on the front of the ribbon. Light wear and tarnish to the medallion. Overall a nice example me thinks.

2.jpg3.jpg

7.jpg4.jpg

Edited by Dieter3

• 1 month later...

Hello gents, were this medals stack or cast? I'm looking to get one for veterans. But one offered me have got all possible defects of cast.

Besides the medal with map on reverse in commerotive and called 'Great East Asia War Commemoration Medal'

Edited by ph3s