News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

War Office or Harts Army lists

Cathey

Hi guys

Since moving my collecting interests to Victorian swords in the vain hope that they would be researchable I have been collecting downloaded Army lists. I started off with the free ones on Goggle, however the quality is generally too poor to search electronically. Now I have decided to buy copies that I can download direct and have found at least three providers on the Web:

The Parish Chest (downloadable)

Your Old Books & Maps (downloadable)

S&N Genealogy Supplies (only available on CD)

What I have found is that whilst all of these have been searchable, the quality of the print still varies. I have the following questions:

1. Has anyone found a supplier they prefer for quality of downloadable Army Lists?

2. Which is best to purchase Harts or the War Office version?

3. To gain maximum coverage should I be looking to buys lists in three year intervals to start with?

4. Are some specific lists better than others and a must have.

Cheers

Cathey

Hi Cathey,

I have 67 Army lists on CD/DVD and all bar two came from YourOldBooksandMaps. The other two from S&N Genealogy. I also have two original hardcover lists.

1. I can't comment on the downloadable side of things because I prefer to have the CD/DVD versions.

2. I generally buy both Hart's and the War Office versions but if I had to make a choice I guess I would go for Hart's as it provides a complete record of an officer's commission and subsequent promotion as well as details of any MIDs and awards he may have received.

3. I think three year intervals is not a bad way to approach collecting these lists. I have been buying for about four years and just bought whatever became available in the period that I was interested in.

4. Not quite sure what you mean here - some lists are a must have if you are researching or interested in a particular era or campaign etc.

I am biased as to the supplier as I have dealt with David Ford of Your Old Books and Maps on many occasions and he is very helpful. He has traced officers details for me, found medal cards and tracked down patents etc.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

PS. You're not getting out of swords and into Blue Cloths are you:D

Hi Cathey,

I have 67 Army lists on CD/DVD and all bar two came from YourOldBooksandMaps. The other two from S&N Genealogy. I also have two original hardcover lists.

1. I can't comment on the downloadable side of things because I prefer to have the CD/DVD versions.

2. I generally buy both Hart's and the War Office versions but if I had to make a choice I guess I would go for Hart's as it provides a complete record of an officer's commission and subsequent promotion as well as details of any MIDs and awards he may have received.

3. I think three year intervals is not a bad way to approach collecting these lists. I have been buying for about four years and just bought whatever became available in the period that I was interested in.

4. Not quite sure what you mean here - some lists are a must have if you are researching or interested in a particular era or campaign etc.

I am biased as to the supplier as I have dealt with David Ford of Your Old Books and Maps on many occasions and he is very helpful. He has traced officers details for me, found medal cards and tracked down patents etc.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

PS. You're not getting out of swords and into Blue Cloths are you:D

Hi Stuart, thanks for that I have also found David Ford to be very helpful when a download had problems. WIth 4. I just wondered if some particlualr years might have more detail. No not getting into helmets but they are lovely, unless a really nice Scottish one falls into my lap, what can I say I'm week when it comes to collecting. Actually Rex is no better.

regards Cathey

Hi Cathey,

yes, David is a real brick! I have bought books (Dress Regs and Boer War) and supplied them for him to scan because he has been so helpful (I also wanted them for myself!).

The ALs are rather much of the same, year to year, and keep an eye out for India Lists both Civil and Military. You might also find such lists as Kelly's Landed Gentry very helpful when doing research.

And it is not a question of being weak - it's what we do!

Cheers,

Stuart

Cathey - welcome to a new Aussie member. I agree with Stuart - about three year intervals gives you coverage. Remember that dealers mainly buy from auctions - you can download directly from any number of London book auctions - the lists come-up frequently. (Interesting spelling for your name - Cathay was the old name for China...)

Cathey - welcome to a new Aussie member. I agree with Stuart - about three year intervals gives you coverage. Remember that dealers mainly buy from auctions - you can download directly from any number of London book auctions - the lists come-up frequently. (Interesting spelling for your name - Cathay was the old name for China...)

Hi Mervyn

My Name is Catherine, but I think when it was shortened to Cathey it was probably just mispelt and has kind of stuck, no exotic explanation I',m afraid.