News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PERCUSSION CAP POCKET PISTOLS

Mervyn Mitton

There have been some good posts on this sub-forum recently, so I thought I would add this matched pair of English pocket pistols.

I appreciate that modern weapons tend to get more attention from the members, but, you can't ignore the older weapons from which these later ones were derived.

The earliest firing mechanism was the wheel lock - where-by a lit fuse was applied when the trigger was pulled. Fine in good weather, but very prone to mis-firing. This gave way to the flintlock - much more efficient and with a pancover to help guard against wind and rain. Loading was of great importance and a finer powder had to be used for the pan to give ignition - course powder was difficult to ignite. As, I am sure, everyone will know - the flintlock depended on a knapped flint (one flaked to give an edge) being released to strike an iron plate - in doing so it opened the pan - allowed the powder to ignite from the spark, which in turn flamed down the touchhole and set-off the main charge of powder. The system was used on pistols, muskets and sporting weapons for over three hundred years. The biggest disadvantage was the short delay whilst all these processes caught-up and the weapon fired.

Early in the 19th. Century a new invention was refined which was to take over from flintlocks. This was the Percussion Cap. The ignition charge of fine powder was contained in a sealed copper cap - which fitted over a nipple directly in contact with the main charge. The pistol or, musket, was still loaded in steps and using a ramrod, but was far more weather proofed, less cumbersome and, fired more quickly. Initially, these new pistols were very expensive - and rare. However, this dropped with time and they became the pistol of everday useage.

Because they were usually single shot, these were normally bought and carried as a pair. The Belgians - particularly turned them out cheaply, but a good pair of English named ones will cost about £800 ($1200). The size shown here were known as Pocket pistols - and they were carried by both men and women. The flat sides to the grip allowed them to be carried concealed in pockets. For women - they were often known as Muff Pistols. To keep their hands warm they carried a fur hand protector - known as a muff and this neatly concealed the pistols. You have to remember that highwaymen were a way of life in those days.

There were no restrictions on civilians carrying weapons until the 'Offences Against the Person Act' of (I think?) 1865. This stopped the carrying of firearms.

This English pair have the name T.FLETCHER on one side of the breech and GLOUCESTER on the reverse. Interestingly, an owner has at some time scratched his name on the wooden grip - BAYLIS. They were often carried by the early Police - remember the film OLIVER - where the old Peelers in top hats, fire at Bill Sykes. The shop of T. Fletcher existed between 1841 to 1859 and was at 161 Westgate Street. Probably, he was only the retailer and they could easily have been made some years earlier. Gloucester is an important West Country City (it has a Cathedral and is, therefore, a City) and is near Bristol.

I should have mentioned that these were loaded in advance for personal protection. They did not have ramrods - you unscrew the barrel - load in reverse order and tighten the barrel.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

My wife is in love with these and would like to start a collection, I will NOT show her this post! Everytime we visit a gun show she stopes and looks at the displays of pocket pistols and says she would like to collect them. Here in Canada you do not require a permit if the pistol is old enough, the exact date escapes me but a flint lock, for example, would not require permiting.

A very nice pair of pistols, thanks for posting them.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Nice pistols, thanks for showing them! They are what's known as 'boxlock' is that right? I guess these would be 1840s? The moulding of the nipple on the top doesn't look like a conversion from a turn-off flintlock (as many percussion turn-off pistols of the 1820s/30s were, I believe) but I don't think that distinctive handle and butt shape continued much after 1850.

Edited by helen

Brian - don't be mean - let your wife have them... I think Canada has the same regs. as Britain and South Africa - Percussion and Flintlock are exempt from the Firearm Regulations. These used to be part of my collection - I had no proof of police use , but certainly of the type.

Helen - Hi ! I agree with you, 1840's - give or take a few years. The Adams and Tranter revolvers were not far off and , of course, there were doubled barreled pistols and pepper box pistols to give a better rate of fire. Again, you are right - these are purpose made and not a conversion from flintlock. Dare I mention that magic word that begins with ' T ' ?

MErvin,

Very nice pistols! Thanks for sharing and posting so much information.

Brian,

Don't be mean with your wife. To find a woman who enjoys firearms (no matter what model) is a blessing!

Greetings,

Douglas

As if I could ever tell her what to do! :lol:

And yes she is a treasure.

Regards

Brian