News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Commemorative Table Medal

I recently picked up one of these and have seen this particular style medal before, just never knew what the correct name or significance of it was. Appears to be French issued/manufactured but the style helmet and uniform tell me it either went to British or American troops.

Anyone know?

The soldier is certainly American and the dates are those of American involvement.

I've never seen this medal with a title. It's always simply described and, while the designer is certainly French, the manufacturer is often identified as F.D. Brown Company, of New Jersey. I doubt it was ever "issued", but available for purchase by interest veterans or their families. It's certainly evocative of the period.

Jeff,

Many thanks for the info my friend!

Yes, the uniform is US when you look at it :rolleyes: The details on the reverse are weak, but you can read all the names on it. Was lucky to get it fairly cheap and with the issue case. Thanks again!

Tim

I'll post some more PICS for those interested in viewing it. Of course, all comments are welcome. I do like these commemoratives! :cheers:

Tim - interesting that it was made in France - Studer (?) would have been the manufacturers. Must have been to sell to the US troops as a souvenir. We usually call these medallions - as opposed to medals, which usually have a suspender. Do the map details co-incide with the areas the US troops fought in ? Very nice to still have the box.

Hello Mervyn,

Yes, I never liked the term "medal" as I associate that with something hanging from a ribbon or pinned to the uniform as well but, the term "table medal" appears popular in various areas, so I use that.

I'm not sure on where the piece is made, Jeff stated he thought a company in New Jersey produced it for sale to veterans, which is entirely possible, I honestly don't know, but the signature "M. Lordonnois, 1919" is stamped in the lower right corner on the obverse and with the French style cross on the reverse bottom, I assumed it was produced in France.

I have never seen a "exact title or name" to this item, so it could be just a souvenir of sorts from that time. I meant to add that the medal is stamped on the edge with "Bronze" but no other maker's stamp that I see. Most I have, usually have the Monnaise de Paris mint mark (cornocopia) next to the bronze stamp, but this one does not, so I assume it was not one of their products. Was France the only country to stamp "Bronze" on the edges?

As far as the landmarks/battle areas. The ones listed on the right; Verdun, Argonne, St. Mihiel were certainly areas the Amercians fought in and I think the Chateau Thierry area as well. Not sure of the others; Soissons, Riems, Bois-Belleau. Also, I am not sure of the two names below the ends of the bridge; are they place names/battles or possible manufacturer/designer names? Depose (L) and Studer ??? ®. You alluded that Studer was a possible French manufacturer?

Again, appreciate the comments and answers!

Tim

Tim - depose means cast or, made and the name is the foundry. The name on the other side is the sculptor and I see it has a date - looks like 1919. It would be bronze. I have never seen this particular one, but many styles were made to comemmorate the end of the War. The British turned medallions out 'at the drop of a hat' - often to be given to school children. They are in fact a collecting field in their own right.

• 1 year later...

As far as the landmarks/battle areas. The ones listed on the right; Verdun, Argonne, St. Mihiel were certainly areas the Amercians fought in and I think the Chateau Thierry area as well. Not sure of the others; Soissons, Riems, Bois-Belleau. Also, I am not sure of the two names below the ends of the bridge; are they place names/battles or possible manufacturer/designer names? Depose (L) and Studer ??? ®. You alluded that Studer was a possible French manufacturer?

Soissons and Bois-Belleau (or Belleau Woods) were two areas that the Marines fought in during the 1st World War.