News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Picked up this very interesdting shot of a Feldgendarmerie Oberfeldwebel on his wedding day.

My fist thought at seeing a small copy of the image before getting the photo in hand was that it was a modified Waffenrock (Note the dark cuffs) to which pockets had been added. Waffenrock modifications were common enough, but had never seen one with dark cuffs left intact.

Then I noticed that the horizontal seam in line with the bottom button as found on the Waffenrock, is missing, yet there are vertical seams under the breast pockets.

I don't imagine that a left over Reichswehr Rock would have had dark green cuffs, so don't think it is that.

Then it occured to me, that this SNCO probably started life as a member of the Motorisierte Gendarmerie (transferred to the army to form the first Feldgendarmerie units). Could this be a modified Police tunic, with the brown cuff and collar facings covered in dark green ?. (I know of visor caps from the Gendarmerie having their brown cap bands covered in green cloth and army badges added for subsequent use after transfer into the Feldgendarmerie so the concept fits)

It is also interestring that although this photo dates for after May 1942 ( he wears the ribbon for the East Front Medal), his cuffband is not the regular BeVo woven type, but a hand embroidered one on brown cloth, same as the Police style "Motorisierte Gendarmerie" cuffband and I believe to be the first type of Feldgendarmerie band made.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch:

The PLAIN dark colored cuffs have GOT to be Polizei... with ARMY shoulder straps, collar badges and Tresse slapped on.

He's... invented his own tunic!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Also wearing the Polizei model sword.

Makes sense Rick, as it is known that in the earliest days of the Fg, those who had transferred from the Gendarmerie continued to wear their Police uniforms, either in their entirity with just the yellow on green Feld=Gendarmerie armband (as opposed to cuffband) or re-badged with army insignia.

What got me was that this photo is, at its earliest, May 1942, yet he appears to be wearing a modified Police tunic as a dress uniform. Guess this guy saw himself as a policeman first and formost, and an Army MP second.

Well spotted on the Police Sword too - I hadn't noticed that !

Just proves once again that there are still treasures to be found on good old EBay !