News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Somehow, I don't remember exactly, I ended up with several German army calling cards, and one civilain one. I thought, as I have time, I'd post them. Someone might have some interest. Some of them have writing on the back, which I cannot read, others are blank. I'm not sure this is the correct place to post these, but I didn't really see anything else that fit.

Here's the first one:

jungalbert.jpg

jungalbertback.jpg

Guest Rick Research

This is fun! :jumping:

Jung's card is rather an affectation, using the spelling modernized in the 1890s perhaps to indicate he held the exalted status of Commercial Councillor since BEFORE the orthographic changes that made him a "KommerzienRAT."

"Danke Ihnen, lieber Herr

Engelmann, herzlich und

mit besten Wünschen für

Ihre Gesundheit für die

liebwürdigen Glück-

wünsche zu meiner Beför-

derung.

2.6.18."

So even though Herr Engelmann was sick, he'd still congratulated Hauptmann Major Jung on his promotion-- which certainly heps date THAT.

Jung was presumably the pre-war Hauptmann dL I (Infanterie) resident in Landwehrbezirk I Frankfurt am Main.

Karl Scholtz (1861-1912) held both posts for many years before the war BUT the change in designation to Tech. Vorstand occurred only between the Rank Lists of 1911 and 1912. He was transferred between the issues of 1912/13, so you've got a visiting card from either 1911 or 1912.

He died on active duty as a Reichsheer Generalveterinär (that was a Colonel at the time), so believe may be able to provide you with his FACE--thanks once again to Glenn's amazing Indiana Jones archives explorations.

Received BZ3aX during the war and held RAO4, KO4, PrXXV (previously Baden IX), and 1897 before the war. Rather surprised he never got a peacetime Baden Order despite years with FAR 14.

Veterinarian rank titles were quite peculiar. Although shown as an Oberstabsveterinär in 1907 (earliest I looked--and then veterinarians did NOT :banger: have rank dates listed) he shows SENIORITY in 1912 in that rank as... 27.01.12 G. Despite which, he was Korpstabsveterinar (Lt. Col.) 18.10.12 A. He was Chief Veterinary Officer of the XIVth Army Corps at outbreak of the war.

Guest Rick Research

Scholtz wasn't in the portrait album. :(

But-- :Cat-Scratch: Jung was NOT a reservist-- he was a recalled retired General Staff Captain!

From the 1914 1918 Honor Rank List--

Albert Jung's 1908/09 Orders Almanac entry

showing him to have been a foundry owner

Guest Rick Research

Confirming his identity with the birth date, his 1913 Retired Officers Directory Listing (only shows Prussian awards so his Baden is not listed)

I have only been able to find his commission dates in Feldart Rgt 15

Secondelieutenant 16.09.85

Premierleutnant 14.09.93

See how each scattered PIECE of the puzzle adds somehing that can be used to match it up with something else? Name, but no date. Date, but no name. Both....

Not bad for a slip of paper.

Guest Rick Research

Kaden was born in 1856. he served in FAR 22 forever--

message of condolences

"sendet innigstes Beileid und

herzlichste Theilnahme.

Besten Grüß!

10.12.95"

He was still in FAR 22 when the world war started-- Oberstabsveterinär 27.01.12. Then had RAO4, KO4, XXV, and 1897. Retired as Generaloberveterinär (Lt Col), alive 1926.

Kaesewurm (what a bizarre name) was promoted to Roßarzt 1899/1900. Unterroßarzt was not shown in Rank Lists, so pre 1899/1900. In 1900 he first appears in Schutztruppen SW Afrika. There in 1901-- no awards. Field Art Rgt 5 in 1902 with IX Years Service brooch and retired 1902/03 never to appear in my sources again.

Mike,

the term Roßarzt literally translates as "Horse Doctor" and was one of the various grades of military veterinary officials in use in the Prussian Army prior to the introduction of new rank titles on 27 August 1903. From that date on the Roßarzt was termed Oberveterinär. The development of the titles and insignia of the Prussian veterinary officials (from 1 April 1910 (A.K.O. 21 March 10) veterinary officers) is complicated. Prior to 31 March 1892, the veterinary surgeon holding the rank of Roßarzt held Senior NCO rank and from that date onwards the shoulder boards and epaulettes of a military official roughly equating to the rank of a Leutnant (no rosettes).

Regards

Glenn

That would be Generaloberveterinär Richard Kaden. The then Oberstabsveterinär Kaden's claim to fame was the design of a veterinary saddle bag introduced into the Prussian Army in 1912!

Regards

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn, for the explanation and information!

Oberroßarzt Karl Timm rose to the rank of Oberstabsveterinär (18.11.11 A) and retired as the regiment veterinary officer of 2. Badisches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 30 on 20 May 1913.

Roßarzt Kaesewurm retired in that rank from Feldartillerie-Regiment von Podbielski (1. Niederschles.) Nr. 5 on 26 July 1902.

Regards

Glenn