News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

G.Williamson IC book....

Hi

Havent been around here for a while (work and researching WW1 EYR battles are keeping me busy lately) and was wondering if anybody can give me a progress report on Gordons new book-The Imperial Iron Cross? Is it out yet or near?

Cheers

Rob

Also I cant find a link to the thread about this book? I remember the cover art members had done was excellent!

Edited by EuRob

Hi Rob,

Its still a "work in progress". Two major hold ups.

First trying to track down good images of genuine Grand Crosses.

The second issue is technical. In the "old days" contributors would send photos of pieces they had for inclusion in the book. Today of course, you normally get JPEG images by email. These JPEGs look great on screen when you view them on your PC. Unfortunately, the demands of the new high tech digital printing processes need very high resolution images where digital shots are concerned. Most of the hundreds of images I have stored are JPEG.

If you open up a JPEG on screen alongside a TIFF image, both will look great. The TIFF image however will probably be around 2 or 3 Megabytes compared with a hundred or so KB for a JPEG. The TIFF will provide a nice quality image when printed in a book, but the JPEG will produce an image with lots of digital artefacting unless printed in very small size.

The problem now is that many of the examples I have images of in JPEG are no longer around (especially where the images were contributed by a dealer who has long since sold the piece.) so it is likely to be a long time consuming business to replace all the JPEG images with TIFF images.

Haven't given up on it though, but it'll take a while.

Thanks for chiming in on this Gordon and cheers for the update.

BTW I am led to believe that the 1870 ek 2 class I have was gonna be in 'the book'? I got it from Dave B who mentioned this to me. If you like you can retake a picture of it or I could do it with a very good camera and send lots of pics (for you to choose) to you as TIFFS?

Thanks

Rob