News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian Military Dress Hat

I purchased this yesterday in a local antique store. The tag said "Australian Military Dress Hat (very rare)"

I am a "little" skeptical about the "very rare" description, but hoping it is authentic.

Can anyone help veryfy the description and help identify the insignia on the front.

Thanks in advance

Ed

(GORDON/MERVYN: What do you think?)

The badge is for the Signal Corps. It is not rare. I am not sure if it belongs to the cap but I am sure someone with more knowledge of Australian caps will be able to comment on this. Can we see a photo of the chin strap buttons on the cap since that will help.

Thanks Paul,

As I said, I was a little skeptical about the "rare" part.2014.gif

Sorry about the quality but hope these will help.

Thanks again,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

The badge is for the Signal Corps. It is not rare. I am not sure if it belongs to the cap but I am sure someone with more knowledge of Australian caps will be able to comment on this. Can we see a photo of the chin strap buttons on the cap since that will help.

Paul, Another question for you. Can you tell me if there is a difference in the insignia on my hat WITHOUT the banner reading "AUSTRALIA" and the one shown in the Wikipedia link here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Australian_Corps_of_Signals

Thanks,

Ed

Looks like it's a British Royal Corps of Signals officer's cap, silver "Jimmys" mounted on gilt buttons, but possibly an Other Ranks anodised badge rather than officer's gilt & silver?

The badge is current ERII pattern.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Looks like it's a British Royal Corps of Signals officer's cap, silver "Jimmys" mounted on gilt buttons, but possibly an Other Ranks anodised badge rather than officer's gilt & silver?

The badge is current ERII pattern.

Thanks Leigh,

I did a search of the BRCS and found the cap badge so I guess we can "reidentify" this as a British Cap. One other thing; might you know of any site addresses that might display the uniforms, including hats?

Thanks again,

Ed

Not that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Here's a Royal Signals sidecap (this is an example from the 1970's, not that it's significant).

I can't remember if sidecaps in the Royal Sigs at that time were issue or a non-optional private purchase as n some at least, other units.

Anodised cap badge & buttons.

I have an officer's sidecap somewhere, basically the same but with gold piping along the top, I think it has anodised buttons, & it has no badge as yet.

Sorry...I don't understand your post?????unsure.gif

Speagle

I had written a long, involved and highly improbable theory on how this hat and these buttons (which clearly don't match the hat) had come into being as a 'set' when I realized that the hat was being advertised as "Australian" and not "AUSTRIAN". I scrapped the whole post and should have left the space blank. My apologies for the cryptic posting, meant to imply that I'd typed before I'd thought! :(

Peter

Speagle

I had written a long, involved and highly improbable theory on how this hat and these buttons (which clearly don't match the hat) had come into being as a 'set' when I realized that the hat was being advertised as "Australian" and not "AUSTRIAN". I scrapped the whole post and should have left the space blank. My apologies for the cryptic posting, meant to imply that I'd typed before I'd thought! sad.gif

Peter

No problem Peter. Thanks for the clarification. I was afraid I may have offended someone but didn't know how or whyohmy.gif

Anyway, thanks again. ave a GREAT week.

Ed

Speagle

I had written a long, involved and highly improbable theory on how this hat and these buttons (which clearly don't match the hat) had come into being as a 'set' when I realized that the hat was being advertised as "Australian" and not "AUSTRIAN". I scrapped the whole post and should have left the space blank. My apologies for the cryptic posting, meant to imply that I'd typed before I'd thought! :(

Peter

Same here, every time I see this thread listed by title I see "Austrian" initially.

I think I was conditioned by that great thread on the Austrian police cap a little while ago.

This thread has been nagging at me like a sore tooth, and I can't stand it any more. I'll give you a hypothesis. I wonder if the cap itself isn't really a chauffeur's cap as often worn in the UK with a black cockade in front. I can envision a young boy having such a cap and getting hold of the Signals badge / buttons, and putting them all together for a play costume. (Just the sort of thing I'd have done as a boy).

The style is very similar to a chauffeur's cap, and the cap band seems reminiscent.

Comments?

Best,

Hugh

This thread has been nagging at me like a sore tooth, and I can't stand it any more. I'll give you a hypothesis. I wonder if the cap itself isn't really a chauffeur's cap as often worn in the UK with a black cockade in front. I can envision a young boy having such a cap and getting hold of the Signals badge / buttons, and putting them all together for a play costume. (Just the sort of thing I'd have done as a boy).

The style is very similar to a chauffeur's cap, and the cap band seems reminiscent.

Comments?

Best,

Hugh

Interesting concept Hugh. Unfortunately I haven'ta clue one way or the other (hence my posting and asking for assistance in identifying). If anyone can help by refering to the first picture I posted and comment on the wavy seam line, perhaps that may help clarify.

Anyway Hugh, thanks for your observation and I hope your "nagging sore tooth feeling" gets better soon.banger.gif

Ed