News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need A Name Deciphered from a Laufbahn

Guest Rick Research

The relevant technical term would be

"Illegible scribbles."

Presumably "Georg v." Scribblydibbly but unless you've got a UNIT, lotsa luck. I'd LIKE to think it is a wildly illiterate/geriatic scrawl for "Naegelsbach," but only because I can't imagine what else it COULD be. (NO von Naegelsbachs, however.)

"Oberst" only readable in quotes as his rank only by long practice with slovenly smears.

In 45 years I have almost never seen anything this bad. The guy just rolled his pen around like a pre-schooler with a crayon. Pehaps he only had two fingers-- otherwise-- no excuse.

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: :speechless1:

So it WASN'T just me! Thanks, Rick. Let me see what else I can find on this gent.

Don

The relevant technical term would be

"Illegible scribbles."

Presumably "Georg v." Scribblydibbly but unless you've got a UNIT, lotsa luck. I'd LIKE to think it is a wildly illiterate/geriatic scrawl for "Naegelsbach," but only because I can't imagine what else it COULD be. (NO von Naegelsbachs, however.)

"Oberst" only readable in quotes as his rank only by long practice with slovenly smears.

In 45 years I have almost never seen anything this bad. The guy just rolled his pen around like a pre-schooler with a crayon. Pehaps he only had two fingers-- otherwise-- no excuse.

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Rick et al, I don't know if this will help but he apparently topped out at Generalmajor in the second World War, in the first WW he received the Ritterkreuz 1. Class of the Sachsen Albrechts Order mit Schwerten and the Ritterkreuz 1.Class of the Hausritter Ordens von Hohenzollern. Promoted to major 24.12.17, #25. Actual wording in case I screwed it up: Hiezu befördert mit Patent v. 24.12.17 Nr. 25.

From November 9 1917 to January 24, 1919 he was 2.Gen Stbs Offz beim Gen. Kdo I.B.a.K

Don

Edited by DonC

Georg Naegelsbach. *28.04.1876 in Zweibrücken +00.00.1945.

He was a Bavarian infantry officer. In 1939 he was on the staff of the "Wehrersatz Inspektion München." He was promoted Gen.Maj. with a date of rank of 01..04.1942. He did not command any field units during the war.

Andy

Andy, thank you very much! I would never have been able to get that out of that name.

Don

Georg Naegelsbach. *28.04.1876 in Zweibrücken +00.00.1945.

He was a Bavarian infantry officer. In 1939 he was on the staff of the "Wehrersatz Inspektion München." He was promoted Gen.Maj. with a date of rank of 01..04.1942. He did not command any field units during the war.

Andy

Guest Rick Research

Ah. So my eye for tortured scribbles did not deceive me-- but what DID was the middle initial (?) taken (from placement) as a "v."

Don't think I've ever seen a German of that era sign his name "American style" first name-middle initial-last name.

So what's all this about? Knowing your interests--got a uniform?

Rick, I am in the information gathering and negotiation stages for Naegelsbach's tunic, belt and breeches. Trying to nail down as much information as I can before I get overly excited.

Don

Edited by DonC