News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WORLD WAR 1 - SUN HAT (?)

This sun hat has been described to me as an officer's private purchase sun helmet. There are signs that a badge has been present on the left side behind the strap - the top of the pugaree is turned inwards. Could be WW1 - maybe a civilian type and later - I think this is where Stuart, Peter and other experts offer their opinion ? Apart from the size, the only other interior marking is a stamping on the leather headband - 'superior quality'.

This is a Cawnpore Tent Club Hat and looks to be in unworn condition. They were used by both civilians and the Military for perhaps 70 to 80 years and were manufactured in both India and England.

They supplemented the Colonial pattern and then the Wolseley for occasions when the full dress helmet was not worn.

The Wolseley and the Cawnpore were finally replaced by the Khaki Solar Pith Hat in 1938 (ACI 284) for officers. Other Ranks had been wearing the KSPH since the early 1930s.

There really is nothing to suggest that this example is military. I suppose that the puggaree being slightly turned inwards could suggest that a slider badge was worn but that is a giant leap of faith. Both because sliders were worn in the V at the front of the puggaree and should not have turned the top fold inwards. There does not appear to be any holes or stitching marks where a badge or flash would have been affixed.

I do not see any outline of a badge either i.e. the puggaree seems a uniform colour and condition where a badge would have been rather than being a lighter shade caused by dust and possibly sun-bleaching.

I would say that it is civilian but never worn. I would have expected a maker's mark to the interior. Still a beautiful example.

Stuart

Thankyou Stuart - very informative. I had never even heard of this pattern. The condition is remarkable for it's age - which from what you say, is probably pre-1938. The owner may have been returned to UK and you don't need sun hats there - rain hats, YES.

Would you be interested , or do you have one in the collection ? Thankyou. Mervyn

Mervyn,

it is very difficult to say if it is pre-1938 but if forced I would say yes. Maybe a few civilians bought them after that date but period photos suggest that the Bombay Bowler and Khaki Solar Pith hat were used. They probably would have been cheaper without the quilted cover.

Stuart