News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Confederate Descendants Awards and Insignia

Greg Collins

The War Service Crosses of the United Daughters of the Confederacy have already been discussed on the forum, so I thought I'd share some awards and badges from the XY side of the aisle. These are mine, as I was quite active in these organizations for a period of time. They are not political- both organizations enjoy a 501c3 status (tax exempt, historical) and, as such, have no political agenda.

The requirement for SCV membership is proven relationship to a member of the Confederate Armed Forces. The requirement for membership in the MOS&B is proven relationship to a Confederate Officer or Government Official (Elected or Cabinet). The two organizations used to go hand-in-hand- even sharing the same national headquarters at Elm Springs, Tennessee- but have, recently, parted ways over several issues I won't go into here.

To start, the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) War Service Cross. Later issues would have a bar/bars indicating the war/wars in which the awardee participated. This medal was given before that change:

Edited by Greg Collins

The SCV and MOS&B also produces medals which are badges of office as well as for general membership. Some of these are featured here. From the left: SCV Brigade Commander (with star indicating Past Brigade Commander), SCV Camp Commander (the Camp is the basic unit of the SCV), SCV Past Camp Adjutant, SCV General Member, and MOS&B General Member:

As I've said, the basic unit of the SCV is the camp (local club). Camps are organized into Brigades (each state has several according to both population and geography). Brigades are organized into Divisions according to the state they're in, and Divisions are organized into one of three Armys (Northern Virginia, Tennessee or the Trans Mississippi). Here is (from the left) a Mississippi Division medal, a Maryland Division medal and an Army of Northern Virginia Medal. Note the Virginia Division insignia attached to the Army of Northern Virginia medal.

Conventions are noted for producing medals, some of which become quite rare and valuable over time. Here is a group of three medals produced during the SCV's Centennial in 1996. The first (from the left) was produced by the Texas Division, the center was the official SCV Centennial Convention Medal (held in Richmond, VA), and the last medal is the general SCV Centennial Medal (which is numbered on the back). These are all from very limited runs.

A medal from an earlier (1979) convention held in Fredericksburg, VA. Conventions are held yearly, with a Camp requesting, and being chosen, to sponsor these events. Hence, the convention is in a different location every year.

Edited by Greg Collins

Rick,

The convention/centennial and Army of... medals did not come with certificates. The rest did, although it will take me some time to find them (they're here somewhere, I just know it).

Ulsterman,

It's my award and it was not engraved by the Chapter (the MOS&B basic unit is the Chapter) that presented it. I guess I could have had it engraved if I wanted to.

I served in Beirut (which ended my Navy career, unfortunately); the SCV grouped Iran and Beirut together for the purposes of this award.

Edited by Greg Collins

• 2 weeks later...

Dug up some more stuff... any non-profit organization relies on donations and the sale of "what nots" to boost organizational war chests. This is where the funds come from to promote causes and to hold conventions, among other things. Here's a few of those "what nots":

In this first image are blazer crests for both the SCV and the MOS&B. Made of bullion, probably in either India or Pakistan, they secure by three military clutch-type fasteners on the backs.

Next, three embroidered SCV logo patches; great on jean jackets and ball caps! The tie is not, per se, SCV or MOS&B (yes, they both DO have ties in their organizational colours). This tie is in Confederate tartan. Apparently, a group of guys from the organization had the where-with-all to have the Lord Lyon direct the creation of this tartan. Anyway, it's a pretty cool item (expensive) and was given to me as a gift for some minor work I did. I've never yet worn it.

While I was the Commander of the 5th Virginia Brigade, SCV and Lt. Commander of the Virginia Society, MOS&B and had the day job of a graphic designer, I was called upon to create several designs for all sorts of items including flags, shirts, mugs, glassware and pins/badges. In this next image, the lower pin is an early Life Member pin for the MOS&B- a nice, gold filled pin that doesn't have much "eye appeal". The pin above is my design which was adopted in either '96 or '97. Sorry for the glare...

My last post for now (until I find more stuff): a group of four lapel pins. Top left is a full-sized, gold filled SCV pin- nice. Below that is the standard cloisonne miniature lapel pin for the SCV. At the top right is the Virginia Division lapel pin- another of my designs. Below that is the MOS&B rosette- very Victorian.