News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Highland regiment, but got me stumped.

I know this comes from one of the Scottish regiments, but I can not work out which one, and although I've seen many similar badges, I haven't seen one exactly the same. Please help me identify it.

Thank you!

Edited by rusticalex

and the reverse...

Hi rusticalex.

Your excellent badge is an officer's forage cap badge c.1845 to 54 worn only by the 2nd Battn the Royal Scots. I will try to append the appropriate pages from the regimental history by Leask & McCance but I am not very good with pics on this site. Anyway, it is a very rare and desireable item, so hang onto it or get a good price for it. Try Bosleys if you want to get rid. Regards Jeff

Edited by Jeff Mc William

Hi rusticalex.

Your excellent badge is an officer's forage cap badge c.1845 to 54 worn only by the 2nd Battn the Royal Scots. I will try to append the appropriate pages from the regimental history by Leask & McCance but I am not very good with pics on this site. Anyway, it is a very rare and desireable item, so hang onto it or get a good price for it. Try Bosleys if you want to get rid. Regards Jeff

Thanks Jeff...fantastic information, and lovely to hear that it is so rare. I have recently changed heart about selling any of the collection that my family has, mainly because many of the items were worn by one member of the family or another. Once they are gone they are gone, and whilst I know that good money could be fetched (and I have a few other things to share on here, some pretty special), ultimately they should stay within the family. Sorry, but I can not enlarge your attachment, although I'd be intrigued to see it. I am pretty confused as to why we have this in our possession - we are very lucky to have our family's history well documented, but at the period you mention I can not see that any of my ancestors were involved with the Royal Scots - they had plenty of involvement with other regiments, including Scottish regiments, but none with the Royal Scots, unless I am missing something. Oh well, I'll keep looking! Of course, it may not have belonged originally to one of my family!

Thanks also Leigh - badge is about 2" across, with, I think, gilt brass with silver plate rays, as you say.

Alex

Thanks Jeff...fantastic information, and lovely to hear that it is so rare. I have recently changed heart about selling any of the collection that my family has, mainly because many of the items were worn by one member of the family or another. Once they are gone they are gone, and whilst I know that good money could be fetched (and I have a few other things to share on here, some pretty special), ultimately they should stay within the family. Sorry, but I can not enlarge your attachment, although I'd be intrigued to see it. I am pretty confused as to why we have this in our possession - we are very lucky to have our family's history well documented, but at the period you mention I can not see that any of my ancestors were involved with the Royal Scots - they had plenty of involvement with other regiments, including Scottish regiments, but none with the Royal Scots, unless I am missing something. Oh well, I'll keep looking! Of course, it may not have belonged originally to one of my family!

Thanks also Leigh - badge is about 2" across, with, I think, gilt brass with silver plate rays, as you say.

Alex

Hi again rusticalex.

Having another "go" at attaching these images to this thread.

First, here is the line drawing from p.680 of "The Regimental Records of the Royal Scots" by J.C.Leask & H.M.McCance :

Thanks for that Jeff. I've looked up the RUSI museum, and see that it closed in 1963, so goodness knows where the badge in your book is now! You've shed a lot of light on to this badge for me, so thank you very much. In terms of value, is it possible to estimate, or are rare items like this too difficult to guess at?

Alex

Thanks for that Jeff. I've looked up the RUSI museum, and see that it closed in 1963, so goodness knows where the badge in your book is now! You've shed a lot of light on to this badge for me, so thank you very much. In terms of value, is it possible to estimate, or are rare items like this too difficult to guess at?

Alex

Hi again Alex.

Yes, sorry, I should have pointed out that the Leask & McCance book was published in 1915 so thats why the information re the RUSI Museum is a "touch" out of date ! But the identification is still valid, and indeed L & McC is regarded by many as the regimental "Bible" as far as details of Dress and badges are concerned. And it looks like a Bible too ; 782 pages, 265X200X60mm, and weighing 3lbs ! Regards Jeff

PS: With regard to value, I am not too sure..I guess £80 to £100 is possible, perhaps even more. Maybe Bosleys could advise ?

Edited by Jeff Mc William

Hi again Alex.

Yes, sorry, I should have pointed out that the Leask & McCance book was published in 1915 so thats why the information re the RUSI Museum is a "touch" out of date ! But the identification is still valid, and indeed L & McC is regarded by many as the regimental "Bible" as far as details of Dress and badges are concerned. And it looks like a Bible too ; 782 pages, 265X200X60mm, and weighing 3lbs ! Regards Jeff

PS: With regard to value, I am not too sure..I guess £80 to £100 is possible, perhaps even more. Maybe Bosleys could advise ?

Jeff, that is one big book, no doubt! Does this book give names of men who served in the regiment? If so, I'm wondering if I should get hold of one, although I imagine they come at a price!! Either way, I will hold on to the badge, and find out who in my family may have worn it, if I can.

Alex

Edited by rusticalex

Jeff, that is one big book, no doubt! Does this book give names of men who served in the regiment? If so, I'm wondering if I should get hold of one, although I imagine they come at a price!! Either way, I will hold on to the badge, and find out who in my family may have worn it, if I can.

Alex

Hi Alex. No, I'm afraid it doesn't (apart from the list of Colonels) although the Appendices are 123 pages long ! I think your best option if you want to trace a relative is to write to the regimental HQ. Best of luck. Jeff