News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Wolseley Helmet in Pictures

Well I have finally consigned my book on the Wolseley helmet to the printers. It took me 10 months when I thought I was finished at 6, but so much information came to light that it just had to be included.

I expect it to be available end December or early January. Many of you will know that I turned from 19th century British headgear to sun helmets over the last couple of years (I know, Leigh) and this is the culmination of that endeavour.

I hope that some of you will enjoy the book as much as I did writing it. I must say that forum members were very helpful in filling the gaps.

Stuart

www.militarysunhelmets.com

StuartsWolseleyOnePage.jpg

Stuart is a friend - and was kind enough to send a proof copy for me to read. I can only say how very impressed I am - both with the detailed content and the wonderful pictures.

For those of us who have the first in the series - then you must have this new one to complete your knowledge and reference material. There are no great shortages of these helmets - I bought two last week - what is rare is the ability to recognise the variations.

Both Stuart and Peter have links from the website given above - and if you pre-order direct, ask them to sign. Yes, with the high postage, they are not cheap - but knowledge is everything to a collector - and these are the only books on the subject.

Congratulations to you both on it's completion and hopefully I'll be able to get hold of a copy in the UK. An interesting, but very difficult subject to cover as sepia photographs make it hard to identify the many units wearing them. Hopefully you were able to track down those which exist in our military museums to help solve some of the more mysteriously badged examples.

Graham,

I have placed 300 copies in the UK with a distributor who will supply them to resellers, and am trying to place another 50-100 with another. So you should not have any problems in obtaining a copy without incurring the exorbitant postal costs from outside the UK.

Photographic ID was, and will always be a problem, but I have confined myself to that which, if not proven, can at least be the subject of an informed "guess". :rolleyes:

Most of the period photos have provenance.

Stuart

Damn! I would have used this one. :D

BTW: I have never heard of Holland on Sea, so were there any helmet makers there. I ask because Peter is embroiled in a "discussion" about South African Polo helmets made in the Netherlands because someone has an example with an ink stamp inside of Holland!

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Not that I know of. Holland is an area of Lincolnshire, England, nowadays I think the name features only in "South Holland", "Holland" derived as a name for the area centuries ago, from the similarity of the flat Lincolnshire fens to landscapes in the Netherlands.

Holland on Sea is on the Essex coast, but that's about all I know.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have taken delivery of my allocation in Australia and the others will (should) receive theirs by 14th January. Distribution is as follows -

Australia & NZ -

stuartbates@bigpond.com

USA -

www.militarysunhelmets.com/

Canada -

www.servicepub.com/

UK -

Jon mills cdwardens@yahoo.co.uk

UK -

http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...