News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Minenwerfer units

IrishGunner

I have always assumed that German minenwerfer units were "infantry" - however, I have seen a photo caption that calls the soldiers "artillerymen".

Of course, today there is no question that mortars are infantry weapons and I am pretty sure they were in WWI as well; just a sanity check. (See "crazy" in Topic Title).

A search of the GMIC also shows that Minenwerfer Abteilungen were armed with artillery lugers; the photo to which I am referring also shows the soldiers with the shortened KAR98 - also associated with artillery units. A coincidence of infantry and artillery units equipped with similar type weapons since their primary weapon was either a mortar or artillery piece.

Edited by IrishGunner

They actually were part of the combat engineers and wore Pionier/Artillery type uniforms.

The divisional Minenwerfer-Kompagnie was part of the divisional Pionier-Bataillon (combat engineers).

There were also 13 independent Minenwerfer battalions in the Imperial German Army.

Edited by Naxos

They actually were part of the combat engineers and wore Pionier/Artillery type uniforms.

The divisional Minenwerfer-Kompagnie was part of the divisional Pionier-Bataillon (combat engineers).

There were also 13 independent Minenwerfer battalions in the Imperial German Army.

Naxos - thanks for this info. I guess my question wasn't so crazy after all since I was pretty much off base. Thanks again, this helps a lot with some research.

Naxos is dead on with his reply.

I am not plugging anyone's book and hope not to be castigated for this but...

D.B. Nash's "Imperial German Army Handbook 1914-1918" is an inexpensive and readily available reference providing ready answers to questions such as this. I recommend it for what it is - compact and a good place to start.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a long time past, but there were actually 23 independent Minenwerfer battalions in the Imperial German Army, vice 13.

Paul