News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RUSSIA Life-saving medal Nicolas I

Veteran

Hello everyone

This medal was bought recently at an auction sale in Paris. It was offered as " Life saving medal. Nicolas I. Silver, only awarded between 1825 and 1828"

)?.

Wehrlich mentions it under n°77 to be worn with a Saint Wladimir ribbon.

Further information gathered at this time is that it was only awarded in this particular type (with the reverse legend as shown) between 1827 and 1828 when the reverse was modified.

I would be most grateful for confirmation of these first details and for all further information. It seems that it was the very first type of Russian life-saving medal and that it was only awarded during one year. Would there be any way to establish how many were really issued ? Are other medals of the same type known to exist in private or public collections (this must be the case, since Wehrich showed a picture of the obverse

Edited by Veteran

According to Diakov "Medals of the Russian Empire" volume 4 no 459 "For the Rescue of the Drowning" not more than 15 silver medals were awarded so extremely rare.

All the best,

Paul

Hello Paul

Nice to hear from you after a long time. Sorry you could not make to the OMRS Meeting in London in September, I had hoped to see you there.

Your help is invaluable as usual. Thank you so much, it is great news. Frankly I just happened to attend the sale and could not resist the buying urge !. Apparently a lucky break.

Very best wished and regards

Paul