News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 Document - Minenschiff Ostmark

Here is an interesting document to a Leutnant on Minenschiff "Ostmark'. It is an uncommon example of an EK award with the actual ship listed.

Included with this document is Eisensträger's Minesweeper doc and his EK2 doc; awarded June 28, 1941 and July, 4, 1941, respectively.

I have learned that Ostmark, originally the French "COTE D'ARGENT", was captured during evacuation duties in July, 1940. The ship was converted to German use and was operational in the Baltic. Ostmark was eventually sunk by British bombers in April, 1945 off the island of Anholt in Denmark.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the Ostmark was up to in September, 1942 in order for Eisensträger to win his EK1?

B

Edited by Brian R

Here is an interesting document to a Leutnant on Minenschiff "Ostmark'. It is an uncommon example of an EK award with the actual ship listed.

Included with this document is Eisensträger's Minesweeper doc and his EK2 doc; awarded June 28, 1941 and July, 4, 1941, respectively.

I have learned that Ostmark, originally the French "COTE D'ARGENT", was captured during evacuation duties in July, 1940. The ship was converted to German use and was operational in the Baltic. Ostmark was eventually sunk by British bombers in April, 1945 off the island of Anholt in Denmark.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the Ostmark was up to in September, 1942 in order for Eisensträger to win his EK1?

B

From June 8 to 10, 1942 the minelayers Ostmark (Kapitän z.S. von Schönermark), Ulm and Brummer, protected by the 5. M-Flottille were laying mines at Varangerfjord ( the east-most fjord in Norway bordering on Russia and Finland).

It is believed that the Russian Submarine M-176 was sunk by one of these mines on July 4, 1942.

The next operational entry I find for the Ostmark is in January 1943 of Jutland.

Edited by Naxos

According to the German War-Grave data base

A (not sure he is the same man since he would have been a very young Lt.) Gerhard Eisenträger, born on July 21, 1923 is missing since January 1945 in East-Prussia.

Edited by Naxos

Excellent Naxos. Thanks so much!!

Where are you seeing the operational entries?

From June 8 to 10, 1942 the minelayers Ostmark (Kapitän z.S. von Schönermark), Ulm and Brummer, protected by the 5. M-Flottille were laying mines at Varangerfjord ( the east-most fjord in Norway bordering on Russia and Finland).

It is believed that the Russian Submarine M-176 was sunk by one of these mines on July 4, 1942.

The next operational entry I find for the Ostmark is in January 1943 of Jutland.

Ostmark, under the command of Korvettenkapitän Karl Friedrich Barthel was one of four Minenschiffe allocated,along with Roland, Cobra and Skagerrak as part of Minengruppe West. In early 1942 she was based in Nantes with the Staff of the Führer der Minenschiffe West whilst still undergoing some conversion work. By mid 1942 she was operating in Norwegian waters.

Unfortunately, during the period the EK1 document was issued, Ostmark was in dock in Stettin undergoing an engine overhaul. She went into dock on 20 July and remained there for the rest of the year.

However, she was mentioned in a comminique from Generaladmiral Carls, in that she, along with Brummer had been responsible for the successful completion of the "Westwall", (This refers to a mine barrage, not the on-land fortifications), so I would guess that the award of the EK1 was probably made to several of the ships officers as reward for this series of successful mine laying operations.

Here is a photo of her.

More great information. Thanks Gordon!!

Two quick guestions... what does the W after Leutnant mean?

Also, what is the meaning of An Bord on KM docs... is it basically figurative? I would imagine that although it is often listed on various award documents, the awards were not actually presented on the actual vessels. This EK doc, for example... Admiral Schniewind probably wasn't on the Ostmark to sign and award this EK. My guess is that it was probably prepared at his headquarters and An Bord is included in a sort of symbolic fashion. Please tell me if this at all makes sense.

Thanks again,

Brian

Two quick guestions... what does the W after Leutnant mean?

It indicates "Waffenoffizier", so he was most likely a gunnery officer. You can see from the photo that although her main duty was mine laying and acting as a depot ship, she did have gun turrets too.

Also, what is the meaning of An Bord on KM docs

Basically the award would have been presented to him aboard ship, but not necessarily personally by the authorising officer whose signature is on the document, but rather by the ship's Captain.