News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Whilst displaying some British medals at my local museum an old friend brought in a medal group and asked me two questions 1) What are these and 2) Are they worth anything?

I could only answer half of question 1 ! Please could someone more knowledgeable advise?

Thanks

Richard

From left to right :

1. Prussia / imperial germany : iron cross second class

2. 3.Reich germany : honour cross for frontfighters

3. war rememberence medal of Austria

4. war rememberance medal of Hungary

typical combination of a "regular" soldier with the pair iron cross and FKEK (every war veteryn got one in 1934) - the other two medals were some kind of "I want one and pay for" medal , you just had to show your military papers with service during ww1 to get some of these...

So , nothing special at all in a very bad mood... :( I would say on the free market about 60 - 75 Euro

Very many thanks.

typical combination of a "regular" soldier with the pair iron cross and FKEK (every war veteryn got one in 1934) - the other two medals were some kind of "I want one and pay for" medal , you just had to show your military papers with service during ww1 to get some of these...

Now I know what they are, I find the above interesting in that this WWI veteran (If I understand correctly) would only have his Iron Cross 2nd Class to show for his service in the war? Unlike his British counterpart who would have a trio or pair of campaign medals? Was this the reason for the issue of the FKEK in 1934?

Thanks again

Richard

He got only his iron cross during the war.... maybe an additional iron cross 1.class , but that is a pinback award and would not have been on the bar...

After ww1 during the young and wild german "Weimar republic" the former soldiers put a lot of inofficial awards on their bars and breast from many different veteran organizations , warrior clubs and other curious institutions.... but none of these "awards" were officialy given out by the country or the government.

Then the honour cross was given out in 1934 to replace all of these hundreds of inofficial awards as the only OFFICIAL veteran award for all ww1 vets in a new , strong and reunited germany - it was a symbol . There were only some more of the inofficial awards that were allowed to wear after 1934 like the silesian eagle or the baltic cross - all other were banned from this day.

After ww1 during the young and wild german "Weimar republic" the former soldiers put a lot of inofficial awards on their bars and breast from many different veteran organizations , warrior clubs and other curious institutions.... but none of these "awards" were officialy given out by the country or the government.

Then the honour cross was given out in 1934 to replace all of these hundreds of inofficial awards as the only OFFICIAL veteran award for all ww1 vets in a new , strong and reunited germany - it was a symbol . There were only some more of the inofficial awards that were allowed to wear after 1934 like the silesian eagle or the baltic cross - all other were banned from this day.

Once again, many thanks for your assistance.

My friend will be pleased to know what they are, and I am also grateful for the lesson in German awards. As they say, you learn something new every day.

Regards

Richard

all other were banned from this day.

Actually, the ban did not come until 1936. There was a time gab in which people could wear their dozen inofficial awards PLUS the official Honour Cross. Seen often on early SA photos in 1934/35.