News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Photo of Gunner C Lefevre, Diamond Fields Artillery

A photo I picked up in Cambridge, in 1991.

Taken by "J.E. Middlebrook, Kimberley", it shows, according to the inscription written n black ink on the reverse, "Gunner C Lefevre Diamond Fields Artillery".

Also written is "Siege of Kimberley, Oct 15/99 to Feb 15/1900 124 days".

Lefevre is wearing khaki drill with puttees of a darker colour or shade of khaki & a Foreign Service Helmet which, lookng at the seam around the brim, the slightly off centre vertical seam at the front, lack of headband & the indistinct bump in place of a distnct top button appears to be fitted with a cover.

His collar badges are the small "universal" grenade type, he wears a two piece Gun Layer's "L" in wreath badge (in bronzed metal?) on his left sleeve.

The siege of Kimberley, in the Northern Cape Colony of South Africa near the border with the Orange Free State, took place between 14/10/1899 - 15/2/1900 during The Second Boer War.

Kimberly was a large town by South African standards, & at the time of the siege contained about 48000 people, 18000 of whom were European & 22000 were women or children

The 1,624 British & South African troops defending the town were commanded by Colonel Kekewich of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (with the "assistance" of Cecil Rhodes who had been visiting his residence there), the 6,500 members of the Boer forces by General Cronje.

Both sides had artillery.

When the war broke out in October 1899 Boer forces from the Orange Free State & the Transvaal laid siege to the diamond mining town. Ill prepared, the British successfully defended the enclave for the duration of the siege - 124 days.

Engineers of the De Beers company made an artillery piece "Long Cecil" (named after Cecil Rhodes) to help counter the superior Boer artillery, but the Boers obtained a larger siege gun - "Long Tom".

Public opinion dictated a change in British strategy, demanding that the sieges of Kimberley, Ladysmith and Mafeking be relieved before the Boer capitals were assaulted.

The first attempt at relief of Kimberley under Lord Methuen was stopped at the battles of Modder River and Magersfontein.

A cavalry division under Lieutenant-General John French, part of a larger force under Lord Roberts, eventually relieved the town.

Some years prior to the outbreak of war the De Beers company was concerned about the towns defence, particularly from attack from the Orange Free State.

An arms depot was formed in 1896, a plan of defence devised & a local defence force formed. As war drew closer the residents of Kimberley requested more protection, but this was refused by the premier of the Cape Colony who saw no serious threat to the town - "There is no reason whatever for apprehending that Kimberley is or will be in any danger of attack and your fears are therefore groundless" (his reply of September 1899).

Appeals the High Commissioner were more successful, Major Scott-Turner was permitted on 4/10/1899 to recruit volunteers into the town guard and to raise the Diamond Fields Artillery.

On 7/10/1899 Colonel Robert Kekewich of the 1st Battalion, Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire), was placed in command of the town.

Defence was organised against an assault, but not against siege.

Colonel Kekewich's troops consisted of four companies of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, some Royal Engineers, 6 RMLI 2.5 inch Mountain Guns, 2 machine guns, 120 men of the Cape Police recalled from various outposts along the railway line, & 2000 irregulars - the 178 men of Diamond Fields Horse, the 97 of the Diamond Fields Artillery with 6 7 pnd guns, the 352 of the Kimberley Regiment, the 1303 of the Kimberley Town Guard. 8 Maxim machine guns were situated around the town in redoubts on heaps of spoil.

After the war had started the irregular units increased in manpower & the Kimberley Light Horse & the Kimberley Mounted Corps were formed.

During the 124 days of the siege the Boers shelled Kimberley on most days except on Sundays. The shelling eased during the Battle of Magersfontein as fire from the Boer guns was diverted there.

Colonel Kekewich’s plan of defence included keeping the enemy constantly in fear of unexpected attack, mounting continual recce patrols outside the town & sometimes using an armoured train. These patrols sometimes resulted in fierce fighting but had no obvious effect on the overall situation.

The service of the mounted infantry detachment of Loyal North Lancs, the Diamond Fields Horse, the Diamond Fields Artillery, Cape Police & Kimberley Light Horse, was in his words “very arduous: not only did the corps mentioned respond cheerfully, but nothing can exceed the bravery and dash with which these troops attacked the enemy on several occasions in his entrenched positions".

A casualty list published on 24/4/1900 gives the following losses for the colonials, but it omits the casualties of November 1899.

Diamond Fields Artillery — Sergeant Major Moss killed and 11 men wounded.

Diamond Fields Horse — 14 killed; Captains Bodley and Waldeck, Lieutenant Smith, Sergeant Major Macdonald, and 10 non-commissioned officers and men wounded.

Cape Police — 12 killed; Major Ayliff and Captains White and Rush, and 27 non-commissioned officers and men wounded.

On 6.30 pm on 15/2/1900, in a victory dicated by political rather than military reuirements, cavalry of the British relief force entered Kimberley, having had some difficulty in persuading the surprised defenders that they were British & not Boers.

Following the relief of Kimberley, the Diamond Fields Artillery continued in service, a section garrisoning Boshof from May 1900 to May 1901, assisting in repelling many attacks & holding the town.

In 1902 the Diamond Fields Artillery were in many engagements, a pom-pom gun & detachment forming part of Lord Methuen's column in his disastrous engagement at the Battle of Tweebosch or De Klipdrift of 7/3/1902. Several of the detachment were killed or wounded.

The Diamond Fields Artillery were “Mentioned in Despatches”:

Colonel Kekewich’s report of 18/2/1900:

Captain (local Major) May, invariably handled his guns with much coolness under fire, is a most deserving and efficient officer. Surgeon Lieutenant A J Ortlepp, attached, rendered considerable assistance to wounded in the field.

Lord Robert’s Despatch of 2/4/1901:

Major T J May, who afterwards got the CMG, Surgeon Lieutenant Ortlepp, Gunner F D Payne.

Lord Kitchener’s Despatches:

8/10/1901: Lieutenant A Kidd, for excellent work in difficult situation near Griquatown, 24th August.

23/6/1902: Captain C C Sheckleton.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Leigh - a great photo from a famous siege. I am posting some pictures of the Diamond Fields Artillery - it was a small unit - with small guns.

Your man is on the roll and must be in one of the pictures - but, I haven't been able to pick him out - see if you have more success ?

These are all from the official commemorative book published by the Kimberley Town Council in 1902 and many are rare.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

I've never tried to enhance photos other than cropping, instant fix, a bit of light or dark etc. I should get a grip of it I suppose.

Nice illustrations Merv - I missed your thread on the Siege of Kimberley until a couple of days ago when I was showing the Africa forum to a friend who has Rhodesia & SA service.

Lefevre could be in those photos you show, it's hard to tell, certainly without sitting down & studying moustacheo'd septums & the like.

Stuart's exclamation of pain, frustration or appreciation was posted at just after midnight my time, so you'd suspect a little alcohol might be involved - but as it's the middle of 3 days ago where he is then I suspect he's stone cold sober & having posting problems?

Stuart's exclamation of pain, frustration or appreciation was posted at just after midnight my time, so you'd suspect a little alcohol might be involved - but as it's the middle of 3 days ago where he is then I suspect he's stone cold sober & having posting problems?

Quite right Leigh! I did not read Mervyn's posting properly and then could not delete my own posting, hence the frustration. I meant to go back and search for Lefevre but am having problems with my UPS so forgot.

It's OK Merv, I took my pills.

How does one delete a posting?

Stuart

Leigh,

I was thinking of your taking a photo to a photographic store which can enhance old photos. I have no idea what they use but think it pre-dates PhotoShop.

My photographer friend, Nick, is a wizard with PhotoShop so if you would like to send over a photo, at hi-res, I will get him to muck around with it.

Cheers,

Stuart

Yes, I spotted him, could be.

I'll ping across a hi res of Lefevre to you, thanks.

I don't find detail missing from the original, but one day it will just fade away, there always needs to be more than one copy of a photo wherever it is, & whetheron paper or computer.

Queen Victoria born 24 May 1819, reigned 20 June 1837 – 22 January 1901.

The caption says that the limber was captured on 28th November. Now the Battle of Modder River was fought on this day, 1899, in Methuen's effort to relieve Kimberley. Kekewich staged a "strong" demonstration on this same day so I would conclude that the photo is just after 28th November 1899 and, therefore, before Queen Victoria's death.

"Our" man certainly doesn't look like an officer.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates