News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schutztruppe pic with some questions...

Hello all,

nice picture of a soldier from the Schutztruppe in the beautiful white uniform with tropical helmet.

I have some questions, maybe you can help me.... scans of all details follow...

1. What is the EXACT rank of this man? I think it is something like a Oberbüchsenmacher , right or not?

2. What are N°3 + 4 on the medal bar? I think bavarian MVK and Luitpold , right?

3. What is the thing over the cockarde on the helmet?

Any more informations you can find on the uniform details and equipment will be helpful , please let me know all your thoughts....

thank you

Heiko

Hello Heiko:

This is a wonderful photograph. It indeed looks to be a bayerische pre-1905-type MVK in the 3rd position. It also looks as though there are possibly crossed swords appended to the ribbon per the later regulation. The 4th position piece is definately a 1905 Jubilee or Luitpold medal. He is also wearing a long-service clasp for NCO's (but which one is not clear: ? years).

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thanks SPM

so the medal bar is clear... what about rank and uniform?

Heiko

Hello again Heiko:

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing regarding colonial/Schutztruppe/marine uniforms. Looking at the first medal, I am not 100% certain as to what it is. It looks like it has a MEZII ribbon and the shape of a China Campaign Medal. Of course ribbons sometimes look very odd with these types of old photographs with light colors looking dark, etc. The second medal of course is a DSWA Campaign Medal (it is too bad that we can't see what the bars say!).

Best regards,

"SPM"

Heiko,

From the information I found on this website: http://www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk/ that man is an NCO from the Polizeitruppe of one of the German colonies in Africa. On one of the pages there is a photo of a man wearing the exact same helmet with the same shoulder straps.

The website says the Polizeitruppe were formed on 1 March 1892 in German East Africa and were separate from the Schutztruppe. They came under command of the colonial governor, not the military command. The white uniform was also used in the other German colonies too, so he could be from any of them, I guess. On 27 October 1906 a small yellow metal eagle was authorized to be worn just above the national cockade. On 16 March 1912 a small cord, in the imperial colors of black, red, and white, was authorized to be worn around the hatband by those of Wachtmeister rank.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

• 1 year later...

Hello chaps,

I've only just come across this thread. Nice photo Heiko! Thanks for quoting my site, Mike! I think the info there is correct and that this chap could be a Polizeitruppe Wachtmeister. He could also be an official as Heiko first suggested.

I think either the Zahlmeister Aspirant or the Ober Buechsenmacher shoulder straps look like those in the photo.

post-2838-025267900 1294874364_thumb.jpg

Of course if we could see the colour of the straps it would make life easier. The Polizeitruppe shoulder straps should be red.

Equally both the Zahlmeister and Buechsenmacher were entitled to wear imperial eagles on their headress, as seen in the photo on the tropical helmet. The Polizeitruppe wore them too.

post-2838-056992700 1294874377_thumb.jpg

So it's just down to guessing colours now....

Cheers

Chris

...and I now know where to come with questions about the Johanniter Order :cheers:!

In addition to my previous post.... I did some more reading and found that only the Zahlmeister could wear an eagle on his headdress, not the Zahlmeister Aspirant, so that rules the paymasters out. I think we're down to Ober Buechsenmacher or Polizeitruppe Wachtmeister now...

Cheers

Chris