News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

I have come into a few shoulder boards from a local estate and I am trying to ID them and it seems tricky to me. I have looked at the Kaisers Bunker but I still am lost. Is there a good source on the web to find information? I have never bothered to get any of these and they have not interested me much at shows but I "found" these so I picked them up. I have pictures and I will post them when I give up. I learn best by beating my head against the wall. Is there a list of all of the little chingadaries under the crown? I think two are from Prussia but I get lost after that.

CR,

I would be happy to identify them for you. You can either post a picture here or PM me for my E-mail address. In the meantime, there is a good reference on the Feldgrau Forum website. You will have to register and if you do, I will send you a link to the pages.

Regards,

Chip

OK - I can not find the information that I am looking for so I would appreciate your help.

These are pretty easy I think - Prussian leutnant in the flying service.

Does the grey underneath just match a grey uniform or does it link these to a specific occupation like WW2 boards?

Edited by CRBeery

Finally, I believe these are Prussian Oberst boards as the little threads look black. i can not find the cypher. He seems to have been promoted. Is the white infantry or guard? These things are a confusing field to try and work with for me. Thanks for your help.

Guest Rick Research

Gray was the branch underlay for mechanized troops, so is correct for an aviator who was wearing the uniform of the flying troops, not simply seconded from another branch wearing his old uniform with the device on his boards.

Pear shaped straps are for Uhlan everyday wear-- having metal ones for parade dress.

The Police cord was common in a number of Weimar Republic era forces, ranks varying from one to another between Wachtmeister and Hauptwachmeister.

M1915 Oberst is from Infantry Regiment 95 and if untwiddled with-- and I don't think they are-- the promotion here should make him identifiable.

And Sho Nuf--

there was only the one possible wearer-- Generalmajor aD Fritz von Selle (1868-1947). Oberstleutnant in IR 95 05.09.14 Q (hence MADE at that rank in the M1915) and promoted Oberst 18.07.17 B-- which dates that upper pip. :catjava:

Winner of the Pour le Merite and a host (nay, a plethora :speechless1: ) of Thuringian Exotica to be found splashed across the Ernestine and Weimar pages of the WW1 Rolls by the legendary Herrn Lundström & Krause. (2 copies remaining in North America.) :whistle:

And you will find a very badly positioned photo of him as Oberstleutnant and in Full Glory as Reichsheer Generalmajor as posts 21 and 22 on page 2 of Christophe Déruelle's "My Thuringian Collection" in the Collections Subforum. For some reason I cannot amke the link thingee work at present.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by Rick Research

I think post #5 might be from the Zivilverwaltung der besetzten Gebieten. In other words, these are not army officials under the Heeresverwaltung, but rather civilians, who were entitled to wear a uniform (Feldziviluniform). Typically, they wore a special design of shoulder cord, the middle official's type looking like this one. The underlay was either dark green or feldgrau. These were worn by a host of officials and as Rick mentions, police commisars. It is a whole field in and of itself and little known, as it is rarely covered in material about the army.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I thought the underlay was just faded SchuPo green but Feldgrau and what would be known in the NEXT war as "Sonderführer" sounds better! Glad we've got you! :cheers:

Merry Christmas!

Gentleman,

As usual I am extremely greatful. I guess I had some beginners luck here. A flyer and a PLM winner :love: . I looked at the other thread and he kind of looks like my Uncle Ed. I wish the medal bar was there to be picked up but I am happy with these.

The underlay on the unknown boards is a very light green.

Thanks a bunch!

Chet