News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What unit?

Hi guys,

I obtain one Victory medal (actually on the way) and can't figure out branch again.wink.gif

So, as I got information today, maybe someone can advise and help to "read out" text on the rim;

3002 Pte R.J.E.BUSCH.S.B.L.

Private Busch has pretty low number, can it indicate that the person was on service already before Great war broke out?

S.B.L. - what's that?????ninja.gif

If someone have saved most common branch abreviations, can they please post them here as well for a learning porposes please.

All the best,

Timo

Hi guys,

If someone have saved most common branch abreviations, can they please post them here as well for a learning porposes please.

All the best,

Timo

The Slavo-British Legion perhaps? They had SBL as abbreviation at least.

Chris

Edited by Rundberg

Chris is correct. Busch's Medal Index Card indicates that he served with the Slavo-British Legion and was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal on 18 June 1924 (hard to read; could be 1921). There is also an indication that the British War Medal was returned unclaimed. Regards, Gunner 1

Edited by Gunner 1

Hi guys,

I obtain one Victory medal (actually on the way) and can't figure out branch again.wink.gif

So, as I got information today, maybe someone can advise and help to "read out" text on the rim;

Private Busch has pretty low number, can it indicate that the person was on service already before Great war broke out?

All the best,

Timo

That sounds like a very interesting VM, nice find.

Not quite what you asked for but as for some common prefixes, as opposed to unit abbreviations, have a look here http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40741&st=0&p=377110&hl=prefix&fromsearch=1&#entry377110

They may give a clue to a soldier's trade etc.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Hi Noor,

posted your request for info on THE GREAT WAR FORUM,

got this hit back:-

I have been following medal abbreviations for over 30 years and I have yet to see one to the S.B.L. in any dealer's lists.

Your buddy has a scarce medal - or rather, a scarce impressed naming. Only 69 MICs seem to exist irrespective of the relatively high service number.

Looking through these - a couple of anomolies. Herman Riis is a Boatswain !! And Harry Ray/Raisin seems to be a Lieutenant in the Russian Army.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Is this the same unit which was put together by the British to assist the White Russians fighting the Communists in North Russia? If so I'm not surprised there are so few MIC's for them, because if I remember correctly some of the units mutinied and murdered their British officers.

Well I couldn't find his service or pension records and also couldn't pinpoint him on the 1901 census although many with that good German name Busch were living in East London.

Finding his full name will help so it's worth having the medal rolls checked. Also I believe the 1914-1918 Roll of Honour (if that's the correct title) is online, I could be wrong though. The men themselves or their families had to pay to have an entry included so it by no means covers all servicemen and there are only 12 or 13 volumes for the whole of England. I did have them all on CD but don't know where it is.

Aren't some war diaries available on the NA site now? A Private probably wouldn't get a mention though unless he did some unbelievable heroic deed but as soon as you have his full name it could be worth checking, if only to see what the unit got up to.

I'm sure some of the others here can help you more.

Tony

Noor,

The GREAT WAR FORUM is just the place to get details with regards your medal:-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

you will find the people there very friendly and willing to help with questions.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks! I managed to get copy of his service card;

What would be the next step to try research this medal?wink.gif

Some reading perhaps?2014.gif

http://books.google....0Legion&f=false

I like to own my books so perhaps:

http://www.bookfinde...ced&st=sr&ac=qr

I even bought on myself since it seems to be an interesting subject, your fault....biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Rundberg

• 3 weeks later...

After 1 month delays on post this medal arrived.cheers.gif

Here is some extra photos and scans....

Not the mint condition but I think it is not even the first thing regarding scare rim text:D

14100123aeb662_o.jpg

141001612dbf25_l.jpg

I had time to think.... I probably let this medal go because it is not my main collecting interest to look single British medals for different units and anyway few VM-s I have already with the groups.

So, what you guys think what would be the value of this medal if I like to sell it?

Here is full text.... sorry guys, it was already dark outside when I did the pictures and I am not so good to use the camera under the yellow desk light.

14100165c6fbba_l.jpg

The October 1957 issue of the Canadian Army Journal on pages 112-124 contains an article entitled "Adventure in North Russia" which has the following concerning the Slavo-British Battalion:

"Captain Royce Dyer DCM, MM, one of the Canadian officers of the Mission who had served in France as an NCO in the 8th Battalion ("Little Black Devils") from Winnipeg, was given a Slavo-British Battalion to command. His soldiers were drawn from the least unsavory elements found in the gaols after the counter-revolution in Archangel. Dyer's adjutant was an Australian, Bourke, and his interpreter an escaped PW from the Austrian Army. Dyer was later to die from pneumonia contracted in 60-below weather, and his successor as CO, Bourke, was murdered along with eight British subalterans and NCOs when the battalion mutinied soon after taking over a sector of the Dwina front."

Regards, Gunner 1