News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greece - War Medal 1940-41 Army reverse

To all,

I recently picked up this Greek War Medal 1940-41 with the Army reverse. Whilst this is probably a common enough award, that was produced in sizable quantities, when the item arrived I noted a large die flaw line running almost three-quarters the circumference of the wreath on the obverse.

A close inspection of the obverse shows a die flaw running from the bottom centre around the left side wreath (as viewed) straight through the crown at the centre top and down the first half of the right side wreath (as viewed). While there are no major die flaws on the reverse it is evident that there has been an off-centre die strike leaving an uneven rim present. These flaws are in addition to an off-centre axis suspender and ribbon ring which has almost broken through the front of the suspender.

As far as my references indicate there are 5 strikings of this medal with minor variations. While I don't think it is significant other than to show that manufacturing flaws do occur it is interesting to me nonetheless.

As I know little about Greek medals has anyone else seen such a die flaw?

Close up of the obverse to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW