News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jubilee (Police) Medal 1887 w/ 1897 clasp

Hello Everyone,

I have aa 1887 Jubilee Police Medal with a 1897 clasp in a group that includes a Special Constablary Long Service and Good Conduct Medal both named to the same officer. I will be posting this pair with the grouping of items that came with it under the thread dealing with the Special Constabulary later on.

This medal was awarded to:

P.C. B.(Bernard) Bowen, A Divn., of the Metropolitan Police.

Here is my question,

The "Medal Yearbook", 2004, published by Token Publishing, states under reference number 294. Jubilee (Police) Medal 1887:

"Issued to all ranks of the Metropolitan and City of London Police involved in the parades and celebrations on 21 June 1887." Further to this they state, - and this is the important part -," Clasps for the 1897 were likewise issued ten years later".

On the next page under reference number 297. Jubilee (Police) Medal 1897, they state, "Very similar to the 1887 issue with the dates suitably amended and the name of the service round the top of the reverse." Then, - the other important point -, "Holders of the previous medal [1887] merely received the 1897 clasp".

The medal I have also came with the original box with the recipient's name written on the cover. The box is marked, "Metropolitan Police. 1887 Medal with 1897 Clasp".

The Medal Yearbook writeup would make me think that any recipients of the 1887 Medal would have only received the 1897 Clasp. Yet here is obviously a 1887 Medal that was sent to the recipient after 1897 complete with the Clasp for 1897.

I find it interesting that P.C. Bowen would recieve the 1887 medal complete with 1897 Clasp rather than simply receiving the 1897 Clasp. Have any other members found this to also be the case for medals in their collections?

Regards

Brian

Here is the box lid and as can be seen this seems to be a common enough label and not a hand-written "one-off". This would seem to make the Medal Yearbook less than accurate as it appears the 1887 Medal was still being issued with the new 1897 Clasp attached to those who qualified. Would that mean P.C. Bowen might very well have had the 1887 Medal in his position and then received the modifcation after 1897?

Regards

Brian

Guest Rick Research

That is a WONDERFUL find!!!!! (Who keeps cardboard boxes in immaculate condition for 113 years? Not the overly tidy women in MY family! :speechless1: )

I'd venture that the 1887 recipients had to turn their medals in to have neat--consistently, professionally neat--clasps attached. The medals would have been checked against entitlement rolls and all that, then eturned with some sort of presentation (as the box lid would imply) ceremony.

Hi Rick and Mervyn,

Darn! I'm agreeing with both of your points.

It seems like a lot of work to return one medal in exchange for the "updated" version.

On the other hand it would be one way to assure that there was a degree of uniformity. It would be great it this were indeed to a fellow who had not recieved his 1887 medal but I find the I am seldom one to end up with anything that rare. I guess until I find documents or orders written for the return of the 1887 medal for upgrades I'll just have to be content to wait - and keep searching.

Regards

Brian

Guest pikemedals

hi brian 1887 metropolitan police medal was issued after 1887 jubilee and the medal was sent back to have the 1897 clasp put on.some time after 1897 jubilee.i will look up to see if i got your police officer warrant number.if i have i may tell you more on him. paul

hi brian 1887 metropolitan police medal was issued after 1887 jubilee and the medal was sent back to have the 1897 clasp put on.some time after 1897 jubilee.i will look up to see if i got your police officer warrant number.if i have i may tell you more on him. paul

Thank you very much Paul.

You have cleared up the mystery.

Any other information on this officer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Rick & Paul have hit the nail on the head. The 1897 bar is securely fitted on the original 1887 medal so i have always assumed that the 1887 was returned for fitting and then presented again in a box to the original recipient. You do occasionally see these boxes around, but they are quite scarce. It would be nice to check Police Orders to see if instructions were issued on the return of the 1887 medals for fitting of the bar.