News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK 2 precedence on mountings?

Gentlemen,

What was the rule (assuming that there was one) concerning the precedence of EK 2's with other valor medals? I always thought that the Iron Cross took precedence over other medals but I have seen groups where a Bavarian soldaten's group had the MVK 3rd class BEFORE the EK 2. Was that a parochial thing that was common or was it just mounted improperly? Thanks.

Jay

During the empire, the kingdoms of Bavaria & Saxony gave precedence to their orders and decorations over others. The rest of the subordinate states did not and the EKII took position of honor.

Danke! Was that a solid rule concerning precedence or just a sometimes followed tendency, McSwiggan?

Jay

Jay,

The order of precedence was a matter of state's regulations.

I can not testify as to exactly how they were applied.

During IIIR - a unifying regulation applied to all reestablishing the EKII as the "leader of the parade".

During the IIR - I give as my opinion not backed by reference that the unit of assignment's affiliation governed the wear within the unit not the nationality of the induvidual but I can not be 100% certain on that.

At any rate - it was regulation - manner of application uncertain to me. Period photographic evidence would be fastest method to determine where unit affiliation, individual's nationality are known. Sorry I can't be more direct.

Hugo

Danke! Was that a solid rule concerning precedence or just a sometimes followed tendency, McSwiggan?

Jay

Jay,

The order of precedence was a matter of state's regulations.

I can not testify as to exactly how they were applied.

During IIIR - a unifying regulation applied to all reestablishing the EKII as the "leader of the parade".

During the IIR - I give as my opinion not backed by reference that the unit of assignment's affiliation governed the wear within the unit not the nationality of the induvidual but I can not be 100% certain on that.

At any rate - it was regulation - manner of application uncertain to me. Period photographic evidence would be fastest method to determine where unit affiliation, individual's nationality are known. Sorry I can't be more direct.

Hugo

Thanks very much Hugo.

Jay

Back again with a bit more information.

Having checked with Rick Research on the matter - the wear of Bavarian and Saxon awards in the preferential position was governed by the regulations of the army (Prussian, Bavarian or Saxon) that granted your entry into the armed forces so the order would continue to be in force for a Saxon Leutnant (for example) regardless of current unit of assignment.

For additional information courtesy of Rick - see:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?app=gallery&module=cats&do=sc&cat=28

Ludwig

Edited by W McSwiggan

For the regulations in imperial Germany of 1906 there is a summary of official rules by Prof. Dr. Georg Epstein, who also published the Deutscher Ordens Almanach. It is probable that the regulations for imperial Germany untill 1918 with the WWI decorations inklusive EK2 1914 are similar to these described in this 55 pages booklet. For most of the smaller German states there were no official regulations.

Regards, Komtur.