News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German-Finnish medal bar with 9 decorations

Hi collector-friends,

enclosed you will find some pics of a medal bar. It has the following decorations (in German):

Finland Liberty Medal Freiheitsmedaille 1918

Finland Liberty Cross w swords 3rd class 1918

Hindenburg cross

Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz

Schaumburg-Lippe Hausorden Kreuz 4.Klasse

Sachsen Königreich Albrechtsorden 2.Klasse

Preussen Kronen Orden 4.Klasse

3rd Reich KVK 2.Klasse 1939 without swords

Iron cross 2nd class 1914

Is there a wizzard out there who can identify the former owner for my collector-friend.

Why did the owner get a 3rd Reich cross without swords - maybe he was in a civilian job during 2nd world war?

Thanks

Misiu

Hi collector-friends,

enclosed you will find some pics of a medal bar. It has the following decorations (in German):

Finland Liberty Medal Freiheitsmedaille 1918

Finland Liberty Cross w swords 3rd class 1918

Hindenburg cross

Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz

Schaumburg-Lippe Hausorden Kreuz 4.Klasse

Sachsen Königreich Albrechtsorden 2.Klasse

Preussen Kronen Orden 4.Klasse

3rd Reich KVK 2.Klasse 1939 without swords

Iron cross 2nd class 1914

Is there a wizzard out there who can identify the former owner for my collector-friend.

Why did the owner get a 3rd Reich cross without swords - maybe he was in a civilian job during 2nd world war?

Thanks

Misiu

Question from a tyro - Would the order of precedence not be reversed? This looks like a bar (Frackspange?) to be worn under the lapel of a civilian coat. Hence the guy is probably German, nicht wahr?

Yes, I think that he must have been German.

Also the ribbon bar and small minatyre medal bar have the same order of predecence.

I do not know why the "normal" order in this medal is "wrong".

Yes, I think that he must have been German.

Also the ribbon bar and small minatyre medal bar have the same order of predecence.

I do not know why the "normal" order in this medal is "wrong".

When he wore this bar under the left lapel of his civilian coat, the Iron Cross would be on top, hence, in the highest precedence. That would be the correct order.

If he tried to wear it on a uniform, the order would be reversed (reading left to right as you face him).

So, this is correct for what it is (a Frackspange for wear with civilian clothing).

Hugh

Hugh, thanks for your answer.

Could the possible owner still be tracked?

I read about people in this forum who have lists of medals. I think the Finnish Liberty cross in combination with one or two not very common orders from the medal bar could make a research quite possible, or?

Misiu

Hugh, thanks for your answer.

Could the possible owner still be tracked?

I read about people in this forum who have lists of medals. I think the Finnish Liberty cross in combination with one or two not very common orders from the medal bar could make a research quite possible, or?

Misiu

Rick would have been your best bet, but there are others (I think) who may be able to trace this. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

Hugh

• 2 years later...

When he wore this bar under the left lapel of his civilian coat, the Iron Cross would be on top, hence, in the highest precedence. That would be the correct order.

If he tried to wear it on a uniform, the order would be reversed (reading left to right as you face him).

So, this is correct for what it is (a Frackspange for wear with civilian clothing).

Hugh

If I recall correctly, the Frackspange is also worn on the Naval or Diplomatic full dress uniform, which in the German tradition, is open at the neck to show a wing collar and tie. He may have been a distinguished former officer who was subsequently employed by the Nazi government in a position where he was decorated with the non-combatant KVK.

Excellent, thank you, dmiller. Although I'm very far removed from the ranks of the knowledgeable on German stuff, I do have a very nice frackspange picked up in my magpie days. See att.

Hugh