News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soldier Info

Dieter3

I don't know anything about uniforms, ranks, insignias, etc. I posted this on another forum and got some info, possibly this fellow belonged to the 77th regiment, 20th division? Appear that the 20th division was in Korea - and correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe the medals he is wearing are the Korean Annexation medal, and 1914/15 or 1914/20 war medal. Apparently this uniform was introduced in 1930, so I'm trying to put the pieces together. If I'm correct on the medals, then this soldier aged well if he's wearing a uniform from 1930+ and wondering if it's unusual that he doesn't have any other awards there? What can you gents tell me? Sorry, the pic. pretty small here.

48-bitPhotoColor1200dpi.jpg

All that appears correct. The only thnig I would add is that his rank is sergeant.

He does not have a Sacred Treasure so he has not completed 20 years service. He must be pretty close ! That would suggest it is a 1914-20 War Medal and he served in the Siberian Expedition as a young private. A nice medal pair. I would love to get his award certificates !

Thanks Paul. Yes, if that is the Korean Annexation medal, he must be close to 20 years with that uniform! Like I mentioned before, he aged well!! Alas, I know nothing more about this fellow, just a simple photo repro I got off of eBay as I thought it was a nice one showing the two medals.

For what it is worth, the sword looks to be the Cavalry Sabre Type 32 c.1899 which was used through the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05) up to and including WWII. I would say that he was in the cavalry as if his rank is sergeant and he is Imperial Army then the sword would have been the NCO Shin-gunto.

It should be remembered that it was not uncommon for soldiers to borrow a sword for a photo. I've seen many examples of I.A. privates with an NCO Shin-gunto which was just for the photo - and maybe to impress a young lady back home?

I've tried to photograph the sword at the same angle for comparison.

Use the "Ctrl +" trick to zoom in on the soldier's sword to compair.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

If indeed he was with the 77th Infantry Regiment, I can give you a bit more info on the unit. 20th Division was activated in 1916 and consisted of the 77th and 78th (as the 39th Infantry Brigade) and the 79th and 80th (as the 40th Infantry Brigade) Regiments as well as other support units. The division was indeed activated in Korea and served there continuously until July 1937 when it popped up in China. It participated in some of the major fights around Beijing , Hankow and Taiyuan until the end of 1939 when it returned to Korea. At the beginning of 1943 it was identified as operating in New Guinea. It suffered heavy casualties in the fighting there. Around June of 1943 the 77th was reassigned to the 30th Division back in Korea. In May 1944 the division moved to Mindinao in the Philippines. I don't have the rest of my material at hand, but I know other elements of that division were decimated at Leyte in late 1944. I doubt if the division got out of the Philippines.

The home station (Regimental District) for this regiment was Heijo, which is the Japanese name for Pyongyang, Korea. It was under the Korea Army District, whose HQ was at Keijo (Seoul). The Divisional District was also at Keijo. The odds are thus pretty good that your soldier was an ethnic Korean rather than Japanese.

Hope this helps.

The home station (Regimental District) for this regiment was Heijo, which is the Japanese name for Pyongyang, Korea. It was under the Korea Army District, whose HQ was at Keijo (Seoul). The Divisional District was also at Keijo. The odds are thus pretty good that your soldier was an ethnic Korean rather than Japanese.

An interesting twist, I guess that is entirely possible! I'm totally unfamiliar with the practices of the Japanese army with regards to using foreign personnel.

An interesting twist, I guess that is entirely possible! I'm totally unfamiliar with the practices of the Japanese army with regards to using foreign personnel.

Koreans would not have been considered "foreign" during this period. Japan annexed Korea in 1905 (?) and Korea remained under the Japanese Empire until 1945.

Hugh is right, at least from the Japanese perspective! The Japanese conscripted heavily out of Korea. In general, Korean troops were not thought to be very good, but you have to remember that most of them were unenthusiastic participants (being, from the Korean point of view, forced into serving in their occupier's army). Remember too that most of the "comfort women" were also "drafted" our of Korea. In general there was little love lost, a sentiment that remains to this day. The Koreans felt (feel) that they were treated badly, used basically as cannon fodder and given the worst jobs, such as labor battalions and POW guards.

In terms of your photo, I think all this makes it particularly special!