News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pfc Charles J benardo

scottplen

Heres my latested KIA Benardo was KIA on feb 19 1944 on the 1st day of the Amphibious assault on Eniwetok Atoll. A total of 37 KIAs were on this island the Japanese lost 800 KIA

The entire Eniwetok campaign resulted in 262 KIA, 77 MIA, 757 WIA for the USA and 2,677 KIA, 16 POW Japanese casualties. That has to be a pretty rare PH though.

He is listed on the NARA enlistment site (presuming this is him), info below:

32041679 Charles J Benardo

Residence: Saratoga, NY.

Born in 1918 in NY.

Enlisted at Albany, NY on January 31st, 1941. At the time working as a "retails manager". Single white selectee without dependents, with four years of high school.

I don't see him listed on the ABMC or NGL sites, so he is likely buried elsewhere (NY I would presume).

The entire Eniwetok campaign resulted in 262 KIA, 77 MIA, 757 WIA for the USA and 2,677 KIA, 16 POW Japanese casualties. That has to be a pretty rare PH though.

He is listed on the NARA enlistment site (presuming this is him), info below:

32041679 Charles J Benardo

Residence: Saratoga, NY.

Born in 1918 in NY.

Enlisted at Albany, NY on January 31st, 1941. At the time working as a "retails manager". Single white selectee without dependents, with four years of high school.

I don't see him listed on the ABMC or NGL sites, so he is likely buried elsewhere (NY I would presume).

THANKS ! I have a note with burial flag he was buried oct 1947 in ny not sure where? I believe the 37 KIAs were for 27th division only on eniwetok and the 800 japanese also the 22nd marines assaulted the other Island not sure on its name? I think a US aircraft carrier was sunk by a Jap sub.

THANKS ! I have a note with burial flag he was buried oct 1947 in ny not sure where? I believe the 37 KIAs were for 27th division only on eniwetok and the 800 japanese also the 22nd marines assaulted the other Island not sure on its name? I think a US aircraft carrier was sunk by a Jap sub.

The 37 KIA are from the battle of Eniwetok Island, as opposed to the other islands of the Eniwetok Atoll. The 262 KIA/77 MIA totals may include Operation Hailstone casualties (40 KIA), which was a USN op in support of the Eniwetok ops. It's also possible though that those are USMC casualties and others from the other islands of Eniwetok.

The fleet carrier you're thinking of is probably USS Intrepid, which was damaged by a nighttime Japanese aircraft torpedo attack. She limped back to Pearl and didn't return to the war until summer of 1944. She had 11 KIA. The battleship USS Iowa was also slightly damaged by a bomb from a Japanese aircraft. I don't see any US naval losses (though the Japanese took a royal pasting at Truk). A couple dozen planes were lost though.

I'm guessing the total casualties are cumulative of both Eniwetok, the other islands in the atoll, and Operation Hailstone. The 37 KIA are probably mostly from the 27th ID (and his regiment), but there could be a few from other units involved (engineers and so on).

• 5 months later...